We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Hi

We will be travelling to Queenstown in August 2011 and looking to hire skis/poles/boots for 10 days. Based on standard pricing the cost of hire is on average $35.00 NZ . A Queenstown hire shop call RENTSNOWGEAT is offering a 50% discount is hire is booked and paid for by the end of March 2011.

Just wondering if anyone has rented from this company. I am not keen on not losing my money. We will be driving to the snow fields so ok to lugging our stuff however are parking areas say at Cardrona a fair walk to the field. Just thinking about lugging the gear once we get there.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Hello T, I'm not a skier so can't comment on ski hire.

If you get to Cardrona at the crack of dawn you can park close to the ski lifts, however the later you arrive the further you walk. A small vehicle and trailer operates a shuttle service to transport you to/from the ski lift area.

However if planning to ski at Cardrona you really are better off staying in Wanaka than Queenstown. The drive to Cardrona from Queenstown is about 50 minutes in ideal conditions but it does mean driving over NZ's highest public road which can have ice and snow issues. The longer, flater drive to Cardrona will take close to two hours. If staying in Wanaka the drive is an easy 30 minutes to the ski lifts.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

I have been looking at this website and I would like to know more about this company also. Their address is 19 Shotover Street in Queenstown.

Their website says they are "Queenstowns's Leading Snowboard & Ski Hire Centre".

Can anyone validate this company exists and is reputable?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Thanks for your advice. We are located in Queenstown due to friends offerring accommodation at their home. I am concerned with the drive to Cardrona and appreciate your advice re Wanaka but the free accommodation was too good to pass up. We are looking at hiring a car. Based on your advice it appears a 4 wheel drive would be better than a standard car. Can you advise on this?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Well yes, free accommodation is impossible to pass up :)

But if driving conditions are poor then I suggest you plan to ski Queenstown's skifields, Ramarkables and Coronet Peak rather than risking the long drive to Cardrona.

A 4WD is great and in some cases it can get up the mountains without snow chains, but a 4WD will still slip in ice. I would probably save my money and get a regular car. Either way you will need to also rent snow chains and know how to fit them.

Best of luck :)

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

I have not had direct dealings with this company but I would be very surprised if they were not completely legitimate.

They have a good website and they come up on Google Maps (under their old address in Camp Street. They are now in Shotover Street). It seems highly unlikely that they are just a complete con.

There is a phone number on the website so maybe give them a ring to set your mind at ease.

Regarding carrying gear at the ski field, you can either do what we do, which is get up there early and park at the top carpark (we have been known to beat the staff up there!) or come later and catch one of the shuttles which go from the lower carparks.

The closest ski field to Queenstown is Coronet Peak and the road there is sealed all the way so a 4WD isn't really necessary.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Thanks so much for your help. The saving in ski hire by taking up their offer of 50% of hire if paid by 31/3/2011 is a good offer and represents money for other fun. Thanks a lot.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Hi would love to hear if any one knows this company. Only have a couple days left to take up 50% offer which is pretty good. I did email them and got a reply stating offer ends 31st July. WIll talk with agent tomorrow and hopefully they might know of them. Any one out there know them?

Kind regards,

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Just a follow up on renting for RentSnow Gear. I decided to rent and prepay for our hire to take advantage of the discount. I telephoned the number on the website and spoke to someone with a NZ accent (unless someone interpreting a NZ accent). Secondly, the company is listed on a Queenstown services web site queenstown-nz.co.nz/information/…

so decided based on this I booked the gear. Their website had other security features so feel reasonably confident they exist and I won't be scammed.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

hi Troppo, i was in same boat as you and was feeling a little uneasy to begin with, only because i couldn't get any feedback. Usually TA always have people who have tried everything. Like you, i emailed and recieved back replies, and all seemed pretty legit. I paid on Tuesday for five of us, and my girlfriend with her family of five paid as well, we are travelling beginning of July and this rental discount is huge. So RentSnowGear , your gear better be good cause you will have ten of us at your door steps killing to get on those slopes. Cant wait.

I emailed a guy called Matt Finnigan from rentsnowgear and mentioned could be a good idea to get on tripadvisor and answer a few queries that are happening and also a good way to promote his great deals, apparently today the 50% offer ends and from tomorrow til end of may it is 30% off, so all you skiiers out there who need rental gear check it out, great offer still. He replied and said he will get on TA and thanked me for the info,.

have a great day !!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discount Ski Hire from RentSnow Gear, Shotover St Q'stown

Hi Charliebub,

I also dealt with Matt via email and received replies. I believe they are legit and agree they should get on TA to confirm/promote. For your group a 50% discount means more money spend on food/drink etc. Have a good time in NZ. We won't arrive till August so would really appreciate your comments upon your return.