We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Cook or Glaciers (Fox and Franz)

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KL
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Cook or Glaciers (Fox and Franz)

Hi

We (family of 4 which includes 2 kids aged 4 /8 yrs) are planning for 7 days self drive trip of the South Island.

From the foroum I see that Milford is highly recommended and not to be missed...which leaves us to pick between Mt Cook or the Glaciers Fox/Franz (to avoid backtracking --> which adds to driving time but more importantly will be tiring for the kids)

Which one would you recommend ?

We are looking for a family scenic holiday, and plan to have a heli ride with a snowlanding (either ways)

We fly in to Queenstown and exit via Christchurch (all flight bookings are done and cannot be changed)

Thanks

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Cook or Glaciers (Fox and Franz)

Totaly un biased of course but here are a few sound reasons why to take the West Coast Drive

* The franz and Fox Glaciers are the only Glaciers in the world to decend down and into a Temerate rain forest

* The drive from Haast to Hokitika holds 'World heritage' Status

* Hokitika Shops for greenstone, Glass blowing, Gold jewlerey are uniquie

* The drive over Arthur's Pass has dramatic scenery particularily through the Otira Gorge.

thats just a start, wait till you get to Franz Joseph village, there is a lot of activities available there too and an excellent range of accomodation.

the east coast via Lindis pass , tekapo is barren by comparison

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Cook or Glaciers (Fox and Franz)

I love the drive Tekapo to Wanaka - or Queenstown, if you insist ;)

The landscape through the Lindis Pass is gorgeous and far from barren, in my view, and this shorter route is my preferred drive.

I do sometimes tire of the bush when driving down the West Coast. My favourite section of that road is Haast to Wanaka with its dramatically changing landscapes.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Cook or Glaciers (Fox and Franz)

I've driven both many times, and I personally much prefer the West Coast route, but it is longer, and there's lots to do see/do along the way, so time could well be the deciding factor.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
220 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Cook or Glaciers (Fox and Franz)

Hello, since you are at queenstown, would recommend Milford sound. There are many tour operators that provide coach and cruise from queenstown. This is a full day trip becos of the traveling. If you intend to drive to Milford sound then you should spend a night at te Anau . A 2 hr drive from here to Milford sound is required. There are also coach and cruise option from te Anau as well. The closer you are to Milford the cheaper it gets . Since you are traveling with children I don't think you will be climbing the glacier but just the heli rides. Both mt cook and glacier country had heli rides. For family wise I suggest mount cook. You can stay a night or 2 at mount cook village. But do make your reservations ESP in summer. Mt cook follows the route that leads back to Christchurch . Unless you intend to visit the west coast then glacier country can be your consideration.

5. Re: Mt Cook or Glaciers (Fox and Franz)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 14:19