We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

Hampshire, England...
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

Hi,

I am visiting Queenstown for 3 days in late November (can't wait) but am having trouble finding a suitable hotel/apartment that ticks all the boxes.

Basically I suffer when it's hot so was looking for an air conditioned hotel that also has an on site resteraunt.

I also have had a bad time overseas in the past with noisy room neighbours, so rooms with any modicom of sound proofing would be ideal.

However when searching on expedia and Wotif etc I cant find one that gives me all those choices.

So, my question is, how hot is it likely to be in late November? Will I really need air con do you think? Based on people's past experience is the weather quite temperate normally at that time of year? Removing air con from my search criteria does give me a few hotels to choose from :)

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Simon.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
341 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

It is unlikely Queenstown will be very hot in November. You might have the odd very warm day, but the nights should still be cool. Unless you are planning on spending most of your day in the hotel room, air con is not essential.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

Hello Simon :)

Even on the hottest days (in Feb) humidity is low and the temperature cools considerably once the sun sets, so no, air con isn't necessary.

Most locals sleep with a window open at night though Queenstown can have street noise all night. For a quiet sleep best to be located away from the town centre where all the pubs are located.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,005 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

In over 40 years living in NZ I don't think I've slept with AC anywhere, anytime. Never heard of it being necessary except the odd Feb night in Auckland.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

Air conditioning is not required in Queenstown. The sun sets behind the mountains early so direct sunshine is lost.

As for noise, most of the modern hotels in QT should be ok and well behaved. November on fri and sat nights could be noisy in the streets as Christmas parties will be happening too.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

Christmas parties in November? May wonders never cease!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

We have our first Christmas function next week. Seems a bit sad really, but life is just too hectic at Christmas to celebrate then!

Hampshire, England...
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

Hmmmm...witnessing a christmas party in warm weather will be very strange for me. Last christmas here in the UK it was 0'C all day and freezing...

Just as an aside, is the gondola in Queenstown worth a visit or is it much of a muchness and like any other? I expect the view from the top must be amazing though?

Selangor, Malaysia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

Will love to see and feel the holiday and christmas mood in NZ. The view from the top of the Bob's Peak is gorgeous (for me is a must). One may choose to walk up and take a gondola down from there.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

About four years ago we were in Q'town for three days just before Christmas and it was cold.I was wearing a longsleeve t-shirt,cotton knit sweater and a fleece.My husband had to buy a possom beanie.Up on Bob's Peak we experienced snow flurries.

Two days later ---December 23rd we were enjoying lovely warm sunshine on top of the glacier in Franz Joseph.

Just be prepared for anything!

10. Re: Is hotel air con necessary in late November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 14:16