We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car choice End of August beginning of September

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car choice End of August beginning of September

Hey guys,

Booked most of a 2 week snow boarding holiday for NZ end of August-Sept.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether a mid size car with chains will do the job that time of year heading up the hills to go boarding (obviously with chains on) and I have had previous experience driving in the snow, have lived in Canada for 18 months!

Will also be planning on driving from Queenstown to Christchurch, heading to Wanaka and Methven on the way and wanted to check that a mis size car would be alright for that journey too?!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jaimi-Lee

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Wanaka
Wanaka
Otago Region, New Zealand
9 replies to this topic
Oz
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

Hi,

Yes to all.

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,689 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

Only put on chains when instructed to - driving with chains when it isn't necessary can damage the road and the car. Plus as the recommended speed with chains on is 30km/h, it's extremely tedious when trying to get anywhere.

And yes,a small or mid-size car, driven well, will be just fine.

South Island, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

As WL says only use the chains when it says so and stick to the 30km speed limit. Also the rental cars in NZ don't use snow tyres here, so just be aware of that, as in Canada you probably used them? The other thing you need to watch is for black ice. Drive to the conditions and allow for extra time and you'll be fine.

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

Thanks all for the advice, have booked a car and getting excited for our trip now!!

Gold Coast...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

May I ask what rental car place you used? Coming over in September too and need to organise rental car also. 😊

Oz
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

Hi,

NZ has all the usual multi national brands and some home grown ones. We use a small boutique operator with a huge network of agents and airport kiosks called Hertz.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

If you are going up the mountain to snowboard it is likely you will need to fit the chains. Some ski-fields will do that for you for a couple of $

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
238 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

It may be too late for the OP, but it's worth mentioning that at many skifields, you get better parking if you're in a 4WD, because they cram you into tighter but closer places. So you don't have to hump your gear so far.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car choice End of August beginning of September

Do NOT use Scotties Rental Cars also under the name NU. I am very disappointed with the entire experience. I have reached out to Scotties to resolve my issues, but have not received a call back. My plane was delayed, Expedia tried to reach someone to let them know we would be a day late picking up the car. The were unable to ever reach anyone. I have the emails to prove it. When we did get there, the guy told us that since our car wasn't picked up the previous day he had rented it out, but there was another SUV that we could have. I did not see the problem with that until he brought the car around. It was an old Ford Escape that had cracked leather seats. Also, he said that since his co-worker didn't come in that day, it hadn't been cleaned and it was on empty. He said for us to fill it up and when it was returned I would get credit for the gas in it. Not only did I NOT get credit for the gas, but I was charged $42.56 USD MORE on my credit card than the original quote. My original quote was for Saturday, May 26 thru Tuesday, May 29. I understood that I would still be charged the extra day since no one was able to reach anyone at Scotties to tell them of my flight delay, but I should not have been charged for two extra days! I have left messages for someone to call, but to no avail. I was trying to work this out with Scotties directly, but since no one will return my calls, I will just dispute this with my credit card company. Very poor customer service.

Reply to: Car choice End of August beginning of September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted