We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Small Boat" vs "Nature" Cruises

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
"Small Boat" vs "Nature" Cruises

I'm sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, but after an extensive search I haven't been able to find any information.

My husband and I are planning to take a daytime cruise of Milford Sound. I've been reading over the different cruise options offered by Real Journeys, but I can't make up my mind about which one to choose.

I like the idea of a longer cruise, so I've eliminated the "Scenic" cruise. Both the "small boat" and "nature" cruises last about 2 1/2 hours. Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of choosing one over the other?

Thanks!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Small Boat" vs "Nature" Cruises

The main difference is that one boat carries up to 150 passengers, and the other carries up to 60.

Real Journeys is a company which likes to cover all the bases, and there is a sector of the travelling public which dislikes being with the 'maddening crowd', so to cater for them they have provided a smaller boat which gives the impression of having a more personal experience.

Whether this is true in fact, I have some doubts, as you have more room to move around on a larger boat, even if it is full, than on a smaller boat. None the less, the small boat cruise is very popular, so there must be many who subscribe to this idea.

Whatever you choose you will have a great trip. Real Journeys is a very professional company, with well trained staff and good gear. You really can't go wrong with any of the operators in Milford Sound.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Small Boat" vs "Nature" Cruises

Thanks for your reply. If both options are great, then I think I'll go with the small boat cruise just because it's almost $20pp less expensive. We've read/heard such great things about Milford Sound so we're really looking forward to the cruise!!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Small Boat" vs "Nature" Cruises

Good Choice ! You will love Fiordland, It's one of NZ's special places.

Have a great trip.

4. Re: "Small Boat" vs "Nature" Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 20:22