We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

We're in the final stages of our trip planning and would like to get feedback on the above tours. With 3 young children (baby through to 9 yo) if we had to choose only one, which would you recommend? Or should we try and do both for different perspectives? Am just worried that kids get too tired so please recommend the most suitable! Thank you!

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

This is depend on your itinerary, make it more leisure then you may visit the Penguin Place without tour. Where do you visit the Penguin Place?

Oamaru and Dunedin is the good place to see penguin. Join the tour is easier for the kids, but more adventure to see the wild penguin without tour. Because you are carrying baby, I think join a tour is a better choice.

Regards,

Heroes19

http://www.thetravelparadise.net/

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

Looking at the penguin place in Dunedin. There's also Natures Wonders. Which is more suitable?

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

I've been on the natures wonders tour, it is a great tour if you want to see the seals. The penguins was the down fall, the beach is protected therefore you can only view them from afar by binoculars, even then it's very hard to spot a penguin on the beach. They did build a tunnel and there's one or two doors that can lead you to the rocks and then we saw one penguin hiding. How old is your baby? You might have to ask them if they allow babies just because you do have to ride at the back of the 8 wheel drive terrain vehicle (the ride can get very bumpy).

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Do I go to Penguins Place just for penguins and then Natures Wonders Tour for the seals and other wildlife. I've checked with Natures Wonders and they confirm that my 6 month baby would be allowed on the tour. On the Natures Wonders tour, is there alot of walking to be done? Did you visit the Penguin Place or Albatross Centre? Thanks Kbt

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

There's not much walking to be done with natures wonders as you will be riding the terrain vehicle. You will do a bit of walking to go to the viewing decks or little viewing hidie holes but not really a long walk. It's not exhausting. The natures wonders tour that we did includes the seals and penguins. I haven't been to the penguin place, but both penguin place and natures wonders are both protected reserves so therefore there's a possibility that you won't see any penguin. Read the reviews on things to do. I have also been to the royal albatross reserve. It was good very informational but don't expect to be close to the albatross because you will be viewing them on a glass viewing deck with binoculars. I think there's another albatross tour or reserve in dunedin that you can get close to them but I'm not too sure I just heard of it. It's really up to you which one you want to do. Maybe compare prices to help you decide? And read the reviews.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

May I also add that the nature reserve we didn't really see other wild life. It's just penguins and seals. I can't really suggest if you both do the penguin place for penguins and natures for seals. As I haven't really been to penguin place. Read the peguin place review and find out if there's any seals as well? Cos they both live on the same coast. If you can see both penguins and seals in one tour that would be a better option.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

Many thanks kbt. Have read the reviews but have not found one where a

TA member has been to both places mentioned and recommend the more suitable option. At the moment am inclined to go to penguin place more so for the children to see the effort made to help sick penguins and to be introduced to the conservation effort.

UK
Level Contributor
422 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

We went to Penguin Place and did see some seals too, they were lying about next to rock pools only a few metres from where we were walking. I don't know whether it is common to see them there as I've only been once, but just wanted to let you know that it is possible.

9. Re: Penguin Place or Natures Wonders Tour - or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 21:18