We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunedin Sights

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Dunedin Sights

Hello all,

Will be visiting Dunedin for the RWC and want to get out and about and explore the area, what are the attractions in and around Dunedin that any visitor/tourist should go and see/visit?

Cheers

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,763 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunedin Sights

I would really recommend "Elm Tours" to see Albatross, Seals, Sea Lions and best of all for me The Penguins. Great Company to go with and the tour was just fantastic. The highlight of Dunedin for us.

After that, in no particular order, Larnach Castle, Glenfalloch Gardens, Olveston House, Dunedin Railway Station and the Taeri Gorge train, Walk up Baldwin Street and the Cadbury Factory.

Mazza :-),

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunedin Sights

So much to do in Dunedin http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/isite

As well as the fabulous Otago peninsula, also consider Sandfly Bay, Otago Museum, Baldwin Street - world's steepest, botanical gardens

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
114 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunedin Sights

The Monarch Cruise on the Harbour is good.

Also if you want to get into the hinterland the Taieri Gorge Train is an excellent day out.

melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunedin Sights

We just got back from a 12 day cruise from Auckland to sydney. Had a day in dunedin and manage to book a private tour with Iconic tours. Our guide Kim was extremely knowledgable and he manage to fit in everything which our group wanted to do in the short time frame during which our ship was docked. We manage walk Balwin street, see University of Otago, Cadbury, Dunedin railway, a beautiful drive along the coast, Argo ride on Natures wonders (saw seals and penguins up close), Larnach Castle tour etc..... All in all, it was a fantastic day. Our group consisted of 2 grandparents, parents and 2 boys (4 and 6). Kim also provided suitable car seat for our 4 year old. We really appreciated the time he volunteered to "babysit" our energetic boys to give us some time to see Larnach castle properly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunedin Sights

We did our Dunedin tour with Iconic Tours with Kim as our guide as well. He is everything jthean19 said, very knowledgable of his hometown. We did exactly everything that was previously mentioned except the Argo Ride as we also have Speight's Brewery in our itinenary. It was a fantastic full day tour (approx 8 to 9 hrs) with great company (8pax) & guide. Baldwin st is not for the faint hearted, nonetheless I ran up the street...silly middle aged man and experienced sore muscle on my thighs which I did not know existed...for days. Love the coastal drive and the lush green hill with them happy looking sheeps. A picnic outing with some fine NZ cheeses & wines would have been a lovely bonus (not planned and not enough time, but surely something to consider on our next trip back to NZ). BYO is the go if there is a licensing issue with the tour operator. Larnach castle were cool...especially the solid marble bathtub (only two in existence) with the other one located in the Vatican (wonder if the Pope still uses it)? I highly recommend Iconic Tours and it has been wonderful to have a guide that's accomodating and good natured.

6. Re: Dunedin Sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 21:17