We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
536 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

Hi,

I'm taking a flight from Queenstown to CHC that reaches CHC at 4:05pm. I have a subsequent flight from CHC to Sydney that leaves CHC at 5:15pm. So, essentially I have 1 hour and 10 minutes to go from the domestic terminal to the international terminal, clear security, clear customs and then head to the gate.

Is this do-able?

For both the flights from QTN->CHC and CHC->Syd, I'm taking Jetstar airways. I won't be carrying any bags to check-in. Jetstar rules state that the Kiosk/Counter check-in for international flights closes stricly 60 minutes before departure. I can't use "web-checkin" because Jetstar website says that it's not allowed for International flights.

Is there any suggestion? What can I do about it?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

I have no idea about Jetstar check-in, but for the terminal - domestic and international operate from the one building. It is a 5 minute walk from one end of the building to the other.

Did you purchase one through ticket or do you have two sepearte tickets? When checking in at Queenstown you should be checked all the way through to SYD.

This may help christchurchairport.co.nz/TravellersAndServi…

Edited: 22 November 2011, 07:40
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,290 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

As WL has pointed out it is all the same building. On the scale of things CHC is tiny, but its new layout is great. If you have booked on one ticket you should be able to check in straight through. Your problem will only arise if you booked 2 separate tickets AND the Jetstar flight is late. Unfortuneately Jetstar has a bad reputation for on time running and ZQN is notorious for weather delays. Make sure your insurance covers you in the event of a delay.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
536 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

I have 2 separate tickets that I booked online from Queenstown to Sydney. I got a good deal and made separate bookings for QTN->CHC and CHC->SYD.

I'm not sure if I can call up the Jetstar folks and have them treat this as a single booking. I tried calling them yesterday and they didn't tell me that they could change this to a single booking.

I guess I have to go to the airport at QTN and plead my case and tell them to entertain this as a single booking. I don't have any baggage for check-in, so theoretically I should be able to sprint out of the gate and finish the security and the customs.

If anyone has any ideas or if they have done a connection like this in the past, that might help to know.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

You say you won't have any checked luggage. Have you read the carry-on restrictions for domestic and Pacific flights? You might be limited to a small bag with a total weitght of 7kg.

Do take care as JetStar, like many LLC, will offer low fares and then charge for excess baggage and all extras. You might find your budget flight costing more than anticipated.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

You will need to check in for your international flight - if you have to do this in Chch you will only have 10 minutes to get off the plane, find the check in counter and hope like hell there's no queue. Can you call Jetstar to see if they will check you in at Queenstown. I think it's better to sort things out now rather than stressing on the day. Jetstar have a reputation for not exercising much discretion when it comes to passenger check in.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
536 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your inputs. You guys are amazing in helping people like me. I really appreciate it.

Okay, I called up Jetstar and they're "non-commital" whether QTN airport will issue me the boarding pass for the 2nd leg (CHC->SYD). I currently have 2 separate tickets (QTN->CHC landing at 4:05pm and CHC->SYD leaving at 5:15pm). I have essentially 70 minutes (and I don't have any check-in baggage at all).

I called up two separate Jetstar operators and both of them don't know what the QTN ticketing counter might do. I tried to ask them if the QTN ticketing counter can issue me the boarding pass for the 2nd leg and she said they most likely won't. I told them that the Jetstar website says that it allows for "web check-in" for "certain" international flights from certain airports (and luckily CHC is one of them):

-------------------

From Jetstar website: "For International (Jetstar): Flights from Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin, Gold Coast, Perth and Christchurch only. Web check-in allowed between 48 hours and 120 minutes before your flight’s scheduled departure."

---------------------

The operator strongly encourages me to book a flight the day before to be safe. She says that QTN flights might get delayed and it's too risky. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to spend an extra day in QTN and I'm not sure what I'll do in CHC for a day. Plus the fact that I already did a booking for QTN->CHC that was non-refundable.

Oh well... Maybe, I have to bite the bullet and go the safe way... :(

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

My experiences with Jetstar leave me to suggest one thing only, fly with another airline.

Good luck

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

That "close off time" is rigidly enforced by Jetstar. My experiences with Jetstar have been similar to quin although agents are now telling us their timetable is as accurate as Air NZ so we will see if this becomes a Tui billboard. If you can not get the tickets "joined up" then we wish you luck. I would try to get it sorted before you get to the Queenstown counter.

9. Re: Transfering from National to International terminal at CHC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2012, 21:25