We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch Accommodation

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch Accommodation

Hi,

I am arriving in CHC on 26th Nov afternoon and will stay the night there before starting my driving trip the next day. I was reading one of the posts about acco on the forum but couldnt get information I wanted. I am planning to stay in ricaarton or papanui as per reco. by the destination experts. I have shortedlisted a few places. Can anyone tell me which one is good from a location perspective and as a property as well.

Also do most of these hotels have a buffet breakfast or thats not a common practice in NZ.

The hotels are as follows:

1. Heartland Hotel Cotswold

2. 298 Westside Motorlodge

3. Pavillions Hotel

4. Bealey Avenue Motel

5. Camelot Motor Lodge

6. Amore Motor Lodge

thanks in advance

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch Accommodation

Hi :)

I can't help with location details but you can check guest comments for most if not all of these properties in the reviews section.

And the property websites will mention any breakfast details. Just note that only two of these properties are hotels, the others are motels or lodges, which generally don't offer breakfast.

best of luck :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,151 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch Accommodation

Apart from breakfast, what are you looking for in terms of location? Papanui Rd & Riccarton Rd are the best general areas at present for ease of access to the airport (which also means most of the rental car pick-up depots also). Breakfast will be available from cafes (even if located in shipping containers!!) close by most of the motels. Since there is no "city centre" at present and you are leaving next day I think any of these properties will suit.

Double Oak, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch Accommodation

We had a great stay at the Camelot last year and plan to stay with them on subsequent trip next year. Nice people who go out of their way to make you comfortable and help you get around CHC. Our room was spacious and immaculate. No breakfast, but there are a number of take-outs and restaurants in the area. It's well located with off-street parking for those with a car which is why we chose it.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,913 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch Accommodation

Any of those will be fine. They are all wel located, modern establishments. Check the reviews and follow your instinct.

It's reall only B&B or big hotels that supply breakfast. Personally I think there is better choice and value going for an early morning stroll and picking a cafe. Both areas have a reasonable selection. The Camelot is close enough to Merevale which is a "smart cafe" zone for breakfast or Dinner, but then again so are the Riccarton places. (Riccarton Cafe's not Merivale cafe's)

Edited: 21 October 2011, 19:24
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch Accommodation

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the inputs. If can get breakfast easily within walking distance, that should be fine. I just wanted to ensure that the properties mentioned above are decent enough for a night's stay. Will see some reviews on tripadvisor and book accordingly.

On a seperate note, is it possible to buy some prepaid 3g connection for 8-9 days, so that I can access internet while on the go across the south island

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,913 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch Accommodation

You have a choice of Telecom, Vodaphone and 2 degrees. I think you will find 2degree cheapest unless you txt a lot. Cards are available all over the place, but vodophone has an airport shop

7. Re: Christchurch Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 22:19