We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

Sydney
10 posts
Save Topic
Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

Hi all.

Could I get some advise on when is the best time to head to Christchurch for some skiing/snowboarding? and where is the best place to stay? and how much it would be to hire equipment?

there will be about 4 of us, and we were looking on heading down around the start of July. any help would be great! =)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

Beginning of May is just fine.

If you plan to base yourself in Ch-ch, there are daly shuttles to Mt Hut and porers Ski field

Both these ski fields have full gear hire, including snow boards and skis.

if you have any gear of your own such as boots, warm clothing, goggles /gloves etc, then bring it with you.

Porters has an excellent family feel to it, but has only tee bars.

MtHutt has one high speed six place chair lift, but due to its popularity, lacks the same family feel as Porters has.

As for prices etc check

www.nzski.com/…

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

Just re read what I had written, I meant that the beginning of 'July ' is the middle of the ski season offering the best skiing of the season. not may as I had written. My appologies for the error.

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

The first two weeks in July are the school holidays and the ski fields will be pretty crowded. Personally I would avoid those two weeks if at all possible.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

At the smaller fields such as Porters, there are no long ques and at Mt Hutt, while a lot busier, it has a six seater high speed lift straight to the top, then long runs to get back to back to the six place chair.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

Jay, you do realise that Chch is on the coast don't you - it is at least 90 minutes to the snow. If you plan to ski more than one day at Mt Hutt or Porters Heights, better to stay at Methven for the former and Darfield for the latter.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

My suggestion would be to get yourself organised with car and equipment hire in Christchurch and then head either towards Mt Hutt and accommodation in Methven or Porters and accommodation in Castle Hill. As the ski fields are about 1.5 hour drive from Christchurch if you base yourself here you will have to drive it every day, which gives you less time on the slopes.

For equipment rental you can check http://www.victoriaskisport.co.nz/ and http://www.gnomes.co.nz/ and compare it to what the ski fields are offering.

Sydney
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

Thanks everyone for there wealth of information! I had absolutly no idea where to start. I like the idea of hiring a vehicle and equipment in Ch-ch then driving up to Mt Hutt... will see how we go thanks to you all!!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

There are 6 ski fields within 2 hours of Christchurch. Mt Hutt is the most develloped and commercial. Some only have nut cracker or platter tows. Try www.snow.co.nz for details. The smaller club field will have quite a different feel and possibly different challenges. I could leave my home in downtown Christchurch and be on the first run down Mt Hutt 1.5Hrs later. Porters Pass is closer than that, but did not have enough "green trails" for me!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

The winter ski season doesnt really kick off until mid July if you want to ski decent snow. Best month is August and early september.

porter heights is the closest at 90 min drive away and also has a short mountain road. Hutt is good, Craigiburn and Temple basin also good club fields.

Noosa, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing in NZ Christchurch!! HELP...

hi, im going in late september, would there still be good snow and what would the crowds be like , thanks (begginner)