We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drives

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Drives

I've read that the drive from Mount Cook to Queenstown, via Lindis Pass, is very scenic. Any difference in doing this drive in reverse direction? I'm considering driving from Queenstown to Wanaka (overnight) to Mount Cook/Lake Tekapo (overnight) and then onwards to Christchurch. Appreciate any advise, thanks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drives

No need to worry, the Lindis Pass is stunning in either direction. In fact I think it best heading north (the way you plan to go) as then you have the mountains in front of you.

When are you planning to travel? Apparently the trees are already beginning to change to their autumn brilliance after the dry summer. I'm sure the colours will be stunning fairly soon.

Enjoy :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drives

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning for a Spring trip, probably late Oct to early Nov. Saw some pretty photos of lupines and lakes against a backdrop of snow-capped mountains. I am hoping I've chosen the right dates to catch such a scenery, and hopefully some frisky lambs along the way. Would there still be a lot of rain in late Oct?

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drives

May I know whether Highway 1 is the best route to take from Lake Tekapo to Christchurch (in terms of scenery and travelling time)? Are the roads in any way affected by the aftershocks?

Are chains necessary for car trips in Oct/Nov?

Hoping to get some advice, thanks guys.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,053 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drives

SH 1 only covers a small bit of the route from Lake Tekapo to Christchurch. If you follow the main sign-posted route you will take SH 8 to Fairlie, then SH 79 to Geraldine. From geraldine you can either continue on to Orari to take SH 1.

The alternative is to take SH77 from Geraldine to Rakaia Gorge and then through to Christchurch via Hororata.

Chains will not be necessary in Spring.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Drives

Thanks!

6. Re: Scenic Drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:41