We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help needed ASAP!!!!

NJ
7 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Help needed ASAP!!!!

Hello,

My family and I are coming to NZ in three weeks and I am still having a hard time getting an itinerary together. There is so much to see and do in this beautiful country, I wish I had more than just 5 days!!!!

Please help fill in the gaps:

March 12 – fly into Queenstown 2:30 pm

March 13 –

March 14 -

March 15 –

March 16 –

March 17 – fly out of Christchurch 8:30 pm

We would like to see the Milford Sound, Mt. Cook and (or) Fox / Franz Joseph Glacier (preferably both if time permits), the TranzAlpine Rail into Christchurch looks amazing. Any suggestions or help building an itinerary would be helpful.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
29,839 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help needed ASAP!!!!

Welcome to the NZ Forum. You definitely don't have time for both Mt Cook & FJG as they are some 500 km apart by road. Assume you are renting a car?

Day 1 Arr QTN

Day 2 day trip to Milford Sound by coach or coach/cruise/fly

day 3 explore QTN; pm Rent car; drive to Wanaka (1:30 hr)

Day 4 drive to Franz Josef Glacier (4-5 hr)

Day 5 half day glacier hike; pm drive to Punakaiki, Hokitika or Arthurs Pass (2-3 hr)

Day 6 drive to Chch (2-4 hr); return car; fly home

Option 2:

day 4 drive to Mt Cook (3 hr)

Day 5 Mt. Cook to lake Tekapo (2 hr)

Day 6 Tekapo to Chch (3 hr); return car; fly home

Edited: 15 February 2012, 17:37
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,293 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help needed ASAP!!!!

I would do option 2 above, this would allow a day at Aoraki/Mt Cook for some great hiking and explore the Tasman glacier icebergs http://www.glacierexplorers.com/

happy travels :)

NJ
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help needed ASAP!!!!

thank you for your suggestions. What would you recommend - going to Mt. Cook or to Franz Joseph???? We can’t decide and it’s such a tough decision. If we go to Franz Joseph we to get experience the drive up the west coast, which I have read is absolutely breathtaking. Once in Franz Joseph we will not be able to participate in a Glacier Hike. I have a 5 year old son who is to young, (min age is 7). If we do decide to go this route, would there be anything for the kids to see?? Will we be able to see the glaciers without taking the half day hike? I guess we could always to the helicopter tour, expensive but probably worth every penny. From Franz Joseph we would drive to Greymouth and take the TranzAlpine rail to Christchurch.

Or, if we choose Mt. Cook we could take the kids to the Tasman Glacier lake boat tour. And we again, quite expensive, we could take a helicopter tour of Mt. Cooke and Fox/Franz Joseph glaciers. But if we do that, will we always regret not seeing those glaciers “in person?”

Thank you for any help you can provide.

NJ
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help needed ASAP!!!!

thank you WanakaLakes, it is such a tough decision!!!!!! The Tasman Lake Boat tour is the #1 reason why we would want to go to Mt. Cook. Looks amazing!

5. Re: Itinerary Help needed ASAP!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 05:08