We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox or Franz Josef?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Fox or Franz Josef?

In our dec trip to SI, we has originally planned to stay 2 nights at Franz Josef because we understand that Franz Josef has better accomodations and amenities. Reading various discussion threads now give us the impression that Fox may be a nicer place to stay because it is quieter. We plan to do a heli-hike (for dad and 2 older boys) and scenic flight + glacier landing for mum and 5 yo girl. Have not decided what else to do, though I know we definitely want to visit Lake Matheson and perhaps take a walk around the lake, and even go some easy walks around the area. I have 2 questions:

1. Will Fox or Franz Josef be a better place for s to stay for 2 nights, bearing in mind we have 3 kids with us. Which place has more suitable walks or activities for families?

2. Is the lake matheson walk an easy one? Will my 5yo be able to go it?

Thanks.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox or Franz Josef?

Lake Matheson walk is an easy , flat walk.

Comming from Singapore, you will find all of NZ quite, franz Joseph is to NZ standards a quite small town, and fox even smaller and quiter with a permanent population of less the 50 people

Franz has more activities to suit you but the lake matheson walk is at its best just on daylight to get the best view of the reflections over the lake and the view of the glacier. however yu can take this walk at any time of the day, there is an excellent retaurant and gift shop at the beginning of the walk

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox or Franz Josef?

Thanks Coaster2

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox or Franz Josef?

These two villages are 20 minutes apart and there really isn't a "bad choice" to make. Lake Matheson is in between. Make sure you call into Okarito which is 10~15 minutes north of Franz. There is nothing much in terms of facilities, but a lagoon and the ruins of an old logging port.. A lovely place for a walk on the beach.

UK
Level Contributor
427 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox or Franz Josef?

Yes, the Lake Matheson walk is very easy - flat and on well-worn paths through the forest.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fox or Franz Josef?

Thanks all. We'll definitely do the Lake Matheson walk. Just need to check if you think we'll have time to do it the day we drive to Wanaka. I understand from another post by WL answering another query that the drive from FJ to Queenstown non-stop is 8 hrs! That is much longer then what google map indicated. Knowing that Wanaka is 1 1/2 hr from QT, the drive from FJ to Wanaka is 6.5 hrs non-stop? We have 3 kids so we definitely need stops along the way for food, stretching and photos. So now I'm wondering if we shd do the Lake Matheson walk that same day, or shd we do it on our full free day at FJ, say we take the helicopter flight plus glacier landing in the morning, and doing the Lake Matheson walk in the evening. Any advise? Thanks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fox or Franz Josef?

actually, what I hope I said in the other thread is that Queenstown to Greymouth is 8 hours non-stop.

Q'town to Franz is about 6 hours.

The drive Wanaka to Franz is about 4 hours non-stop but many take 6 hours or longer, stopping to enjoy some of the many excellent short walks, waterfalls and scenic sights enroute.

Your kids will love Wanaka with it's excellent biking and walking tracks along with Puzzling World.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fox or Franz Josef?

Thanks for the clarification WL. I must have misread your pos, sorry about that.. In this case, I think we shd have the time to do Lake Matheson that morning.

8. Re: Fox or Franz Josef?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 16:17