We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week tour

Manchester, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
2 week tour

hi i want to take a 2 week tour over both islands, can anybody suggest an itinanery which includes the best places to see over approx 2 weeks

I will be travelling alone and i welcome any suggestions as to budget accomadation....

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week tour

Hi,

Two weeks over both islands will leave you rushed, it is better to concentrate on oe or the other island.

The south island circuit is most popular due to its diverse and dramatic scenery and can be done Christchurch to Christchurch in a clockwise or anti clockwise direction. If you are doing a hop on hop off type tour, these usualy follow an anti clockwise direction.

christchurch -> Kaikora-> marlbourough-> nelsom -> abel Tasman -> Buller -> Westport -> Punakaiki -> Glaciers -> Wanaka -> Queenstown -> Teanau -> Milford Sound ->Doubtful sound -> Stewart Island -> Catlins -> dunedin -> Oamaru -> Omarama / MtCook/Tekapo -> Christchurch.

In the above, there are many variations or parts to leave out depending on time.

Traveling alone (if young at heart) then a Kiwi Experience, Flying Kiwi, Stray Travel, Magic all offer similar types of travel experience and accomodation types.

You can 'go it alone' however we do not have rail networks that you may be used to so buses are your main option

check out intercity 'flexi pass', they are the national carier and aimed to plase the tourist market.

what time of year are you planning on comming/

I hope that helps

Merry Christmas

Manchester, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week tour

Thankyou so much for your comments/advice

I will be there around May 2011....im still finalising my flights!

What do u mean by hop on hop off tour??

I will look in to kiwi experience etc and the Flexi pass

thanks again for your help

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week tour

It isnt anything like your hop on hop off, but the likes of Kiwi Experience operate a bus on the circuit everyday, so you can get off where ever you want , do the activities, then stay the night ecause you happen to want to stay lnger, then catch the bus the next day continuing on in the same diection

4. Re: 2 week tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 15:18