We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandflies in Greymouth and Punakaiki?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sandflies in Greymouth and Punakaiki?

Hi,

Will sandflies be a problem in Punakaiki? We're trying to decide between booking a holiday house in Punakaiki or staying at a B&B in Greymouth and was wondering if the little buggers will be a problem. According to the description for the Punakaiki property it's "Located 10 minutes walk through lush native rainforest". Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandflies in Greymouth and Punakaiki?

when ever I have been to Punakaiki, I have never noticed sandflies causing a problem, likewise inGreymouth where I live we never see them. Than being said, in coastal regions, when it is about to rain is when they are most liely to make their presence 'felt'.

If you do encounter them, all one needs to do is cover up, unlike their waring cousins inMilford Sound, any skin showing anywhere, they will find and in large numbers.

Have a great holiday

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandflies in Greymouth and Punakaiki?

I'm with Coaster on this. Punakiki alays has a bit of a breeze which discourages them. Never been bitten in greymouth or hokitika either.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandflies in Greymouth and Punakaiki?

Really appreciate the advice, coaster and nzmike. The assistance provided by all the destination experts could not have been more helpful and prompt.

Looking forward to our trip in Jan.

4. Re: Sandflies in Greymouth and Punakaiki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2011, 15:25