We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What clothes to pack January 10-22

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What clothes to pack January 10-22

Hello! We are leaving Sunday-- yayyyyyyyy! for 12 days in New Zealand. We are staying in Nelson the 12th-15th, In Kaikioura the 15th- 17th and Queenstown the 17th-22nd. I am starting to pack and am trying to figure out what to pack. I am going to pack 3/4 sleeve shirts and longer pants. I'm thinking capris also and I have a water proof jacket, but should I expect more colder weather or warmer. I hope this makes sense. Thank you !

Nelson, NZ
Level Contributor
120 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What clothes to pack January 10-22

Hi Kane Try to go for layers - shorts/lightweight trousers and t shirts would be fine most days but a light jacket is needed today in Nelson as there is a cool wind. It is summer but January often has unsettled weather. A waterproof/windproof jacket is a good idea. It does depend on what you are planning to do but you are unlikey to need formal clothes in NZ in summer.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What clothes to pack January 10-22

It also dependson how you are travelling, If you have a car, it is easier to cope with inclement weather as oposed to carrying packs or suitcases to make connections to coaches, buses or shuttles.

If you have a vehicle, then a light jacket and sturdy shoes may be sufficient for the odd track when the weather doesnt play ball.

light clothing generaly speaking, but be prepared for cool weather at times.

These last few days, we have had a lot , I mean a LOTof rain, causeing land slips, surface flooding and emporary road closures. Not ideal if you are staying in a tent, buthopefully we will get to enjoy summer now.

canterbury has had fine weather, but the temperature can drop 10 degrees in an hour when you arent looking, thats when you need something warm to throw on.

enjoy your holiday

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What clothes to pack January 10-22

We are getting 3 season a day at the moment. yesterday it was 33C in the morning and about 10C in the afternoon. I suggest a "layered approach.

4. Re: What clothes to pack January 10-22

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 00:26
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What clothes to pack January 10-22

Thank you very much! I was pretty sure layers were the way to go, but you never know!

il
Level Contributor
391 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What clothes to pack January 10-22

So, what was so bad about the reply?????? Nothing wrong with knitting your own clothing. Rats!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Re: What clothes to pack January 10-22

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 14:18