We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BSB
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

If im planning to go to rotorua by intercity bus from auckland and have a detour to waitomo to see the cave tours. What time will i arrive in rotorua? Because in the afternoon, rotorua activities i would like to do the following:-

i) Zorb

ii) Wildlife park

iii) The lakes (isit possible to visit at night? or any other suggestion to visit at night?)

iv) The mori culture.

i will be staying at base hostel. Do they shuttle bus to go around the rotorua?

The next day, i was planning to go to wai-o-topu to see the geysers. How many hours should we take to explore that place as we want to catch a bus that will arrive at taopo by 1:00p.m. Cause we want to catch the 2.30 pm huka jet falls at taopo.

How far is the huka jet falls from base hostel,Taopo? Will we be able to make it?

Should we be staying at taopo? Because the following day im planning to skii at whakapapa. Where should i stay? Taopo or the national park village? Any transportation at night from taopo to nearer areas in whakapapa?

Thank you. This will be my firs time going to new zealand in JULY 2011. Apreciate any responds.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

If you are taking the Great Sights Day Tour (AKL-Waitomo_Rotorua) you won't arrive in Rotorua until 5pm so not much of the day left. Only time for the Maori Concert in the evening. How are you planning to get to Wai-o-tapu next day? It is 27 Km from Rotorua. Likewise, Huka Falls are located a way out of Taupo. Without a car this itinerary will not work easily. have you thought about joining a tour or using a hop-on-hop-off bus like Stray or Magic?

BSB
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

I thought intercity line coaches are hop on hop of bus also?? no?

And there is no possibility of shuttle bus around rotorua and taopo??

Any suggestion where should i be staying for my skii trip in whakapapa? taopo or national park or turangi? =) thank u.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

Intercity are simply a point-to-point (ie city-to-city) coach service as the name implies (Like greyhound). You buy a ticket from A-B or a pass for a certain number of Km.

If you don't have transport you need to stay as close to the snow as possible eg Whakapapa village or National Park so you can get a shuttle up to the skifield next day. Perhaps somewhere like this:

http://www.howardslodge.co.nz/

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

I'm planning a trip to Whakapapa but wonder where else to visit enroute from Whakapapa back to Auckland. Any suggestions please?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

I have been searching for transport too as I will be in Rotorua Mid July and hope to travel Waitomo and National Park, or even a 1 day trip to Ski Field. So far only manage to fins city transfer in Rotorua: http://baybus.co.nz/

Intend to use waitomo wanderer on 19 July but realised they are not operating on that day...Hope to grab some great deals at I Site Info!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

Other than a couple of shuttle buses that leave from Taupo for the skifields specifically for skiers and Tongariro Track hikers your public transport choices are very limited if not impossible. Other than in the main cities NZ does not have a very strong public transport system- with a population of only 4 million we can't support it. Most have their own cars and a lot of tourists rent a vehicle. A lot of the natural attractions of the NZ are out in the country and isolated, don't expect hop on-hop off buses everywhere you go, you may need to adjust your itinerary to suit.

7. Re: Auckland- Waitomo- Rotorua - Taopo - Whakapapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 23:16