We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum connection time?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
677 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Minimum connection time?

What would you recommend as a minumum connection time for International to domestic? Arriving on Singapore Airlines and departing from domestic terminal with Air NZ

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,243 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minimum connection time?

Personally I would allow 1.5hrs, sometimes you'll get through in no time at all but better to be safe than sorry. If the shuttle has just left and you need to step lively then hang a right out the far end of the terminal and just follow the blue and white double lines to the domestic, a short 10 min walk away.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minimum connection time?

Concur with Zappers

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minimum connection time?

I'll second that. Sorry just realized it's already been seconded. I'll third it.

Cheers.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 20:51
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minimum connection time?

Hi there,

I'm a bit obsessively cautious, so I would probably allow at least 2 hours.

If the first flight is about half an hour behind schedule, as many of them often are, you don't want to be stressing about missing your connecting flight. Also, you need to allow for time to travel between terminals, time to check in for your domestic flight (at least 30 minutes prior), time to clear international customs (this could take 10 minutes or like one really bad experience I had a few years ago, 2 hours!) and time to pick up your duty-free alcohol :-). Also, because you're traveling with 2 different airlines, I'm guessing (but not sure), that you will have to collect your baggage after the first flight and transfer it to the next flight. Sometimes this on it's own can take about quarter of an hour.

Edited: 03 June 2010, 14:31
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minimum connection time?

I agree with Oskar - minimum 2 hours between flights. You can check-in for AirNZ domestic flights at transfer desk at International terminal once you are out of immigration etc. (Come out through immigration, turn left). Then take airport bus or walk to domestic terminal.

If your domestic ticket is AirNZ Flexi-Plus then you can always ask at AirNZ transfer desk if you can get on earlier domestic flight (if there is one).

Note that if your AirNZ domestic ticket is SmartSaver it is non-refundable and it will cost you to change domestic flights. If your international flight is late and you miss your domestic flight, you may find that you have to buy a new domestic ticket.

If you are wanting duty free on arrival Auckland, try dutyfreestores.co.nz. You can order and pay online, then all you have to do on arrival is pick up the duty free. No queues, no hassles, no waiting.

Good luck!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minimum connection time?

<<< You can check-in for AirNZ domestic flights at transfer desk at International terminal once you are out of immigration etc. >>>

But not if the domestic flight is within the hour. If your flight is within the hour then take your bags with you to the domestic terminal.

Cheers.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minimum connection time?

Also, why don't you book your Singapore flight and the NZ domestic flights together as one booking to ensure you don't miss your connection flight?

If you book separately, you run the risk that if Singapore Airlines cancelled or delayed their flight, you WILL miss the Air NZ domestic flight. Air NZ will not change your ticket for free since you book it separately. However, if you book it altogether, the travel agent are obligated to ensure enough legal minimum connecting time between the 2 flights, and if the SQ flight is delayed, Air NZ will honour this and rebook you for free on the next available flight.

Bear in mind that the domestic terminal in Auckland is about 12 minutes walk away from International. If you plan to carry plenty of unusual Asian spices, medications or objects (considering that you're coming from Singapore), you may be held up in MAF for some quarantine checks.

StanleyAuckland is correct. If you come out of the Arrivals hall in the International terminal and your domestic connection is more than an hour away, you could turn left and check-in at the domestic transfer area. But if it is within an hour's time, you have to walk or take the free inter-terminal bus to domestic and check in there.

Good luck!

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
677 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minimum connection time?

Hi,

Thanks for your replies

The flight from Singapore arrives into AKL International at 10.50am (Already booked)

There is a flight from AKL to TRG at 12.15pm which is only 1hr 25mins to connect which will be too short. the next flight doesnt leave until 2.05pm and is an extra $60...

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minimum connection time?

It's rare for SIA to be late. Like Stanley and benlimisella have said check in, including bags is at the International terminal. (SIA and AIR NZ are star alliance so you probably will have a seat number) If you are checked in they won't leave without you. Just watch the spices/foodstuffs etc, even if they have been in you cases recently. Nothing gets past those Beagles.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,243 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minimum connection time?

ByronBay I would go for the short connection, if you miss it you'll most proably get on the next flight anyway. If you go for the later flight they won't bring you forward as 9/10 that plane will already be full(and you know how tiny the planes are, seats fill quick-smart) So often we have had to sit there 3 or more long hours waiting for our Tga flight after having whizzed thru immigration and customs especially as returning residents, it's usually fairly quick. Just don't bring anything in your have to declare and sort your duty-free on the way out (you can collect it on the way back in)