We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiheke Island, Devonport, or Ponsonby?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
Waiheke Island, Devonport, or Ponsonby?
Save

My husband and I will be in the Auckland area for 2 nights in July '06 (the first 2 nights of our 2 week trip). I keep hearing that "Auckland is just another city", and it's better to stay in the surrounding areas.

Where should we stay then - Waiheke Island, Devonport, or Ponsonby?

We prefer a B&B (but something with a private bath - not a guest share).

Any help will be great!

THANK YOU!

Ponsonby, Auckland
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Waiheke Island, Devonport, or Ponsonby?
Save

Auckland is a beautiful city with a beautiful harbour. Waiheke is a bit hard to get around and is better in summer. July is winter.

Ponsonby is really buzzy with lots of cafes, craft shops, people watching. Its easy to get around, just hop on a bus which does a link of the city every ten minutes. You can walk to the harbour.

Devonport is pretty but the restaurants are not much and the ferry only goes every half hour. Hope this helps.

All the good B&Bs have their own bathrooms . You get what you pay for and it is usually low rent places and homestays where you have to share with other people

I LOVE Ponsonby.

Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.