We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

we want to ski in nz but are very put off by the apparent palaver it involves. can anyone recommend a decent rental for 4 adults/ 1 child very near ruapehu so we dont have to spend our time sitting in a car? having trawled through the hype i am actually beginning to think it would be more fun to go to japan, the usa or canada. it wouldnt cost that much more either. definition of near = 10 minutes drive max.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

We recently stayed at Sunbeam Motel in Ohakune. Our party was four adults and a one year old. The motel was a little lacking in privacy but as we were all family, it did not worry us unduly.We felt the price was reasonable. The unit we booked had only basic cooking facilities but the Powderhorn with restaurant & bar was within walking distance. It is approx 16km drive from the motel up to Turoa skifield. The first part of the drive is on a pretty bush lined road and the rest is up the mountainside. We managed to get to one of the top carparks so it was only a short walk to the facilities. Chains were not needed on the day we went. We thought Turoa was preferable to Whakapapa for non skiers. We had been up to Whakapapa the previous day. There is a new cafe opening soon. It replaces one that burnt down and apparently this allows better views of skiers.There are lots of bush walks around the Ohakune area. The weather for the weekend we were there was glorious so perhaps Mt Ruapehu was seen through rose coloured glasses!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,047 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

Unless you join a club you are not going to get on-piste accommodation in NZ. There are actually many advantages to staying off-piste such as other activities in bad weather; restaurants & warmth. (In NZ we ski on mountains but do not live on mountains). Staying near National Park or Ohakune will give you more variety but will require more than 10 min drive to the snow.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

ok, thanks for your replies. will check out the motel (can feel hubs hair standing on end) and we will make it a 3 day trip instead of a week. the beautiful thing is next time we ski in big resorts we will appreciate it more.

even wengen (switz), which doesnt allow cars, has such a great set up you dont notice the inconvenience. has black diamonds everywhere and overlooks eiger but is #1 chilled out ski destination in my book. nz needs to get its act together...

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

One of the good things about NZ skifields is the fact everyone is able to enjoy them, not just the over indulged rich.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

joydot, in my opinion NZ ski fields have got their act together, very well in fact and I wouldn't want it any other way. Perhaps you should look at doing other things with your holiday time next winter break because obviously NZ ski holidays are just not going to cut the mustard with you.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

in my opinion the biggest problem with tripadvisor is there are too many people using it to sell destination rather than experience. most people travel for the experience.

incid. the cost of skiing in nz is higher than anywhere else we have been. relatively speaking what we are looking at is poor value for money. your nz and mine appear to be rather diff - i dont know anyone nzer who skis and isnt 'overindulged'.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

joydot, it appears you obviously seek opinions or you would not be posting on T/A.and I find your comments insulting to D/Es doing their best to answer queries.

All posts 'selling' a product are removed as this is an advisory website not a marketing one. My answer to your post was based on a recent experience at Mt Ruapehu not because I want to sell the destination. If I was selling a destination I would be telling you not to ski but to come and experience the hotspots of Rotorua.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
181 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

Joydot - If you have the money to ski in Switzerland then why are you making such a big deal about NZ "getting its act together"? Perhaps the black diamond is a queen.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

dont know what you mean or understand why this is becoming personal. TA exists so travellers have a better chance of making informed choices.

for the time being we live in nz not europe. i have requested simple unbiased info so that my family can have a LOCAL, fun, relaxing ski holiday. if you are unable to contribute relevant info i dont see the point of taking part in this post.

South Island
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: stay near ski fields mt ruapehu

I would have thought that The Château Tongariro would have easily fitted the description of what you require. It is an older European type of hotel with plenty of room to spare, and at the foot of the mountain.

The rest of the ski areas are in a National Park so commercial ventures are very limited. (public access and all that)

If you are thinking of skiing on a long term basis, when you get to met locals (and you will), you will find that the options for on-mountain accommodation will become very obvious.