We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

san francisco
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

My husband is turning 50 and we would like to spend 4 weeks touring NZ. We will hire a camper van for a few weeks and travel the country. We are inviting our friends to caravan with us for as long as they can, and would like to find a destination beach local for a 4 day weekend for the actual party and gathering spot.

We are a music, art and nature loving bunch of adults and would like to rent a home where 4-6 of us could stay over a weekend. Would be nice to walk to beach, have a town with interesting restaurants and an overall Bohemian vibe.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

Mt Maunganui-

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/regions.asp

www.kiwigetaway.com/default,findahome.sm

http://www.bookabach.co.nz/__New_Zealand.cfm

If you're not too worried about the restaurant/music scene then go for a beach on the Coromandel- Hahei, Whitianga, Whangamata

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

Here is a suggestion for a place on the Tutukaka coast. This is a piece of coast about 3 hours north of Auckland that has amazing beaches & great restaurants.

The 1st website is a general site for the Tutukaka Coast, the 2nd is a link to a holiday home that I would recommend as being suitrable for your requirements

www.discovertutukaka.co.nz

coastalholidayhomes.co.nz/main/property/93

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

What about a fresh water beach. Lake Taupo is the largest fresh water lake in Austalasia. Situated in the Central North Island and an ideal base to do day trips to Napier. Rotorua, Waitomo, Tauranga and Tongariro National Park.

The sand is white and the water is crystal clear. The lake is the size of Singapore with many picnic area's and scenic walks all around the lake. The three sacred snow capped peaks, Mt Ruapehu, Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe are at the south end of Lake Taupo. Some of the best retaurants and cafe's in the country are located in Taupo.

You could if you wish, dine out every night some where different and exciting.

Holiday homes are a plenty, with many on the shores of the lake. Taupo offers, Boutique shopping, Day Spa's. Arts, culture and heritage. World famous trout fishing on the lake and rivers. Adventure and fun activities as in skydiving, scenic flights, Motorsports for the men, Bungy jump if your game for it. Quad biking, golf. Rafting or Kayaking. Cruising on the lake, swimming in a secluded bay, or just dipping your toes into warm water at hot water beach located on Lake Terrace, the main road through Taupo. Mountain biking.Thermal and volcanic area's to visit. Wine tasting.

Taupo has the perfect mix of activities, plus relaxation.

visit www.laketauponz.com for more information.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

Guess where we all come from! :)

So Ok guys, come on, unbiased beach/lake-

Ocean Beach- Hastings, Mahia Beach- Nth Hawkes Bay, Ohope Beach- Eastern Bay of Plenty, Waihau Bay- East Coast, Tauranga Bay- Northland, Matauri Bay, Nthland, Golden Bay, Nelson, Kaiteriteri Beach, Tasman Bay, Lake Waikaromoana, Lake Rotoiti, Lake Wanaka, Lake Tekapo & Pukaki...........

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

OK Zappers, How about Kapiti Coast and the very beautiful Paraparaumu Beach. Waikanae or Otaki. Day trips to Wellington. Palmerston North etc.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

Globalfusion, now that you're totally confused just stick with Mt Maunganui (you can't go wrong!) ;)

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

I think a few posters got a bit carried away with nonsense on this post....

Going back to your original question which said you wanted beach, town with restaurants & a bohemian feel...

A number of the places mentionned in the posts above don't really have all these things....

Tutukaka Coast that I originally suggested does have all of these.

Other places worth considering on the North Island that does have all of these would be:

Raglan

Coromandel

Mt Maunganui maybe (not so sure about the Bohemian vibe there though !)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

:) Tutukaka.......bohemian??

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

I am going to suggest you stay somewhere near Nelson at the top of the South Island. One area you may like near there is Tasman Bay and one of the towns in the area is Takaka which has a very Bohemian vibe. There are lots of golden sand beaches and small communities. There are also many places to go for day trips from there and you are near the Abel Tasman National Park where you will see seals and native birds, you can go kayaking, walking etc. Another day could be to visit Farewell Spit or check out some of the wineries or art and craft galleries in the area.

san francisco
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Location Ideas for 50th Birthday

Thanks for all the humor in these posts. I appreciate the information and will study up on the different levels of Bohemian-ness in each place. My timeframe, which I failed to mention, is Dec 2008. I'd like to decide on the party location before the end of this year, to give everyone enough time to plan to come play with us. Thanks again, and happy travels, everyone.