We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel in Whitianga, Coromandel Peninsula

Derby,UK
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Topic
Motel in Whitianga, Coromandel Peninsula

Hi,

For a trip in Oct/Nov this year, we'd picked out the "Shearwater on the Estuary Motel" in Whitianga but can't find any reviews.

It looks ok on their website;

www.shearwaterwhitianga.co.nz/rates.html

.... and priced ok for our family of 4, with pool (or kids always like a pool, even though the beach is so close, free use of kayaks etc.

We fancy visiting the Hahei beach, Cathedral cove and hotwater beach too, so I guess it's not too far away from these. We've planned to stay 2 nights BTW - driving straight from Auckland Airport.

Anyone have any thoughts on the motel or our plans? Is kayaking alone in the area pretty safe?

Thanks in advance.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel in Whitianga, Coromandel Peninsula

Don't personally know of the motel but a few comments;

Albert St (where they are located) is the main road into Whitianga township and runs from the estuary through the shopping centre up to the beach- about 3-4kms. From their title I'm guessing they are at the estuary end. The beach is a fair walk, the estuary while "nice" has a muddy bottom OK for kayaking but not the best (given the the beaches in the area) for swimming.

You've mentioned Hahei, Cathedral & Hot Water- they are all south of the estuary and a 31km drive away from Whitianga. If you catch the passenger ferry from Whitianga (a 5min ride) you will still only have access to Flaxmill Bay & Cooks Beach by foot, the rest are 4-6 kms along the coast.

In conclusion you would be better to stay around Hahei or Cooks Beach area, you are much more central to all the beaches and activities and a short drive(long walk) to the ferry to visit Whitianga.

Kayaking in the estuaries is fine, around Hahei and the Marine Reserve is usually reasonably calm unless there is an easterly or nor'easterly blowing (which are not the prevailing winds, so not the norm).

I'll see if I have any info on other motels in those areas for you.

Derby,UK
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel in Whitianga, Coromandel Peninsula

Thanks Zappers. You certainly seem to be the one to ask :-)

I'd seen another post of someone recommending the

Tatahi Lodge – Hahei (http://www.dreamland.co.nz/tatahilodge/).

This one does look good too (although a little dearer - is Oct classed as winter or summer?) and I'm sure I could convince the kids that a nice beach is better than a pool.

Cheers.

3. Re: Motel in Whitianga, Coromandel Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 23:20