We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Eats and Drinks!

london
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

Hi all

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on great cheap places to eat and drink in the places we are staying next year (I like wine, fizzy or otherwise, hubby likes beer and maybe a JD and coke or 4) and we are up for any food places! Our destinations are:-

Auckland

Rotorua

Napier

Wellington

Kaikoura

Christchurch

Mount Cook

Queenstown

Te Anau

Dunedin

PS - we are only in New Zealand for 2 weeks, will that be enough time to visit all the above places? If it helps, we are having our 15 berth camper van delivered onto the runway so we can get straight into it when we've got off the plane and crack on with the driving ;)

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
33,898 posts
93 reviews
104 helpful votes
1. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

you need another day or two -

1 arrive Auckland

2 drive to Rotorua

3 explore

4 drive to Napier

5 drive to Wellington

6 ferry to Picton, drive to Kaikoura

7 drive to Christchurch

8 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

9 drive to Queenstown

10 explore

11 drive to Te Anau

12 explore Milford Sound, stay Te Anau

13 drive to Dunedin

14 fly out

There are cheap eats in every location. Stay in motels so you can cook - eating in is less costly than eating out 3 meals a day. And alcohol costs can treble a dinner bill. Water is free :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
80 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

we are having our 15 berth camper van delivered onto the runway so we can get straight into it when we've got off the plane and crack on with the driving

- really? The campervan on the runway? It is repeated too many times on TA that you do not drive after long haul flight. Suggest you arrange to pick up the 15-berth (??wow) campervan on Day 2. (this will also alleviate any congestion with incoming and departing planes on the runway).

It will be a long drive Rotorua to Napier in a 15berth campervan and you will want to stop at tourist sights such as Huka Falls, Lake Taupo etc on route; you will arrive Napier with only a few hours to see and do then another long drive to Wellington the next day.

You need to rethink the campervan thing; you only have two weeks and campervan will be slow going - go for rental car and motel (self contained apartments) which as WLnz says will give you cheap eats as you can buy from supermarket to save money. With such a short time, you might look into taking domestic flight between the islands rather than the ferry?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,415 posts
210 reviews
188 helpful votes
3. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

I think the OP is extracting the urine. A 15 berth camper delivered to the steps of an international flight. Who does this person think they are ? or are we expecting a secret visit of the POTUS, 15 berth campervan hired from prey tell. If you want cheap eats try MacDonalds and Burger KIng.

Oz
Level Contributor
18,996 posts
41 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

Hi,

Are you sure this is for you/ewe ? The traffic jam and hippies are extra.

http://photoblog.statesman.com/tag/green-living

Cheers,

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,207 posts
738 reviews
509 helpful votes
5. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

Cheap eats - go to supermarket and buy pasta and sauces. One of the advantages of campervans (and a 15 berth is pretty huge - how many of you are there?) is that you can self cater in the most scenic amazing places around. So go to supermarket and get cereals, milk, cheese, crackers, wine, beer, veges, meats and you are set to go!

DO not drive directly after a long haul flight. Jetlag is a killer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
92 reviews
167 helpful votes
6. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

Your other post is almost....a duplicate.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k8686401-Spending_money_in_NZ-New_Zealand.html

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,245 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
7. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

Don't forget pies - the best meat pie in NZ was judged last week and came from a New World Supermarket in Hawkes Bay! My local Z does a pretty good lamb & mint pie for around $4.50.

Remember most restaurants are BYO and you can buy decent wine at the supermarket for around $10-15 (cf $10 per glass at the restaurant). Buy at bottle of JD at the duty free at CHC.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
92 reviews
167 helpful votes
8. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

The best pie(lamb) in New Zealand was baked for us by the lady that lives on the Fifth fairway of Rotorua Golf Course in 2011. Thank you. and thanks for the beers as well.

london
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
9. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

apologies everyone, my British sarcastic humour went into overdrive! Rest assured, we are staying a month, hiring a nice normal sized car not a camper van and not doing any driving until 4 days after we arrive :)

Although we will factor in some cooking/drinking at the motels on some days I was hoping to find out if there are any recommended cheap and cheerful places to eat and drink (I'm thinking a food bill of around $50 or less for 2 people).

We are up for trying any cuisine and certainly don't want to go anywhere posh but obviously happy to go over this budget a bit if there is somewhere we really shouldn't miss

thanks!

x

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
78 reviews
46 helpful votes
10. Re: Cheap Eats and Drinks!
Save

G'day - like the Brits, we like our fish and chips. They're a cheap and cheerful option.

Most towns will have a Turkish Kebab place (my favourite). There will also be some Asian eats, definitely Chinese, likely Indian, maybe Thai as well.

The Yanks turned up a long time ago, and unfortunately, McDonalds and KFC are alive and well.

Pizza Hut is here too - but pay a bit more and go to Hell, literally, and choose which Sin you would like tonight. http://hellpizza.com/nz/ I prefer Serpent myself (more prosaically, smoked salmon, cream cheese and spring onion), but Envy and Pandemonium are nice too.

Otherwise.... an option in the main towns is the supermarket. We do not have anything like those great Marks and Spencer things in the UK - how I loved their desserts - but the deli at the supermarket - especially at the New World ones, does stuffed potatoes or kumara (sweet potatoes), little pizzas, stuffed pancakes, Cornish pasties, pies, salads, cold meats, rotisserie chickens, and sometimes things like butter chicken and spaghetti bolognaise, which you buy by the serving and they put it into a plastic carton for you. If you want baked goods, like Danish Pastries, and those... EVIL and deeply sinful things that should never have been invented - Cronuts, crossants turned into a filled doughnut - New World are best for those too.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.