We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to bring hiking boots for glacier walks ??

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Do we need to bring hiking boots for glacier walks ??

Hi all.. Just wanted to check if we need to bring hiking boots for the glacier walks on fox and Franz ? Or would they be provided by the tour company ? If not Will track/sports shoes or sneakers do?

We may be doing a heli or ski plane ride..

1) Which one is less claustrophobic ? I also have motion sickness So which is a smoother ride ?

2) which heli/ ski plane flight is more beautiful? Over wanaka, fox/Franz or mt cook ??

Thanks so much !!!!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,175 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to bring hiking boots for glacier walks ??

Sports shoes are def not OK! You would slip & slide all over the place. The guiding company will supply boots with crampons.

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need to bring hiking boots for glacier walks ??

Thanks for your teply.. so great I don't need to buy any hiking boots before I get there :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to bring hiking boots for glacier walks ??

On Fox Glacier they provide:

1. boots

2. wool socks (extremely comfortable; don't pass on these!)

3. rain jacket (I'm pretty sure they do)

4. rain pants

5. trekking pole

You need to bring

1. warm upper layer (e.g., a fleece)

2. cooler upper layers (tshirts, not cotton)

3. water bottle (there is clean water all over the glacier, so I wouldn't worry too much about brining a ton of water)

4. hat

5. sunscreen

6. lunch, snacks

Don't wear jeans; they chill you to the bone when wet. Nimble Fox was such an incredible tour when I did it last year.

Thermal underwear might not be a bad idea either, since weather can change so fast. I use Patagonia Capilene 3s and they keep me very warm when outdoors in cold and nasty weather.

Edited: 13 October 2013, 11:14
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need to bring hiking boots for glacier walks ??

Oops, backpack is of course a must.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,081 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need to bring hiking boots for glacier walks ??

Hi,

Excellent adivce from our American friend. There are plenty of walks to do at Fox that don't involve "being on the ice" too such as the walk to the terminal face, Lake Matheson etc. It would be well to have the exact same same gear with you on these walks too with the addition of waterproof walking shoes or boots. This area is one of the wettest places on earth so you need to be prepared and have the clothing to enjoy the great outdoors despite waht ever the weather is doing.

Should you venture past the Lake Matheson turn off and out to the beach you need to be covered in high strength DEET sandfly repellant otherwise they will carry you home to eat rather than just bite the exposed flesh they can reach.

Cheers,

6. Re: Do we need to bring hiking boots for glacier walks ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 16:19