We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expensive in New Zealand?

Springdale, Utah
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Expensive in New Zealand?

My wife and I did a 3 month backpacking trip through Equador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego last winter on a $100 a day budget, which is ample for most of SA.(Chile and Argentina were the exceptions however. We plan a 2 month NZ trip. Can we do it on $100 a day for both of us? We are active "trampers", mountain bikers, canyoneers(I work as a guide here in Zion Park, Utah).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,522 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

Welcome to the NZ Forum.

Are you talking $US or $NZ?

NZ is a developed country with minimum wage laws. Unless you are planning to camp, couch surf & hitch- hike you'd be unlikely to manage to stick to this budget. Travel costs will be the determining fact.

A rental car can be had for under $40 a day on a long contract or bus passes for around $25 per trip. DoC huts cost around $50 per night now on the Great Walks, but are much cheaper on the many other tracks. Hostels cost from around $30 pp.

Luckily, National Park entry is free but NZ has a highly developed tourist industry trying to get your money! Boat rides & adventure activities all add to your costs.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,294 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

In some areas of South America you can live like royals on $100 per day.

However NZ does not have the same economy as SA and you would be better to compare your own country. If you can manage travelling for 2 months through the US on $100 per day then yes, you can possibly do the same here.

Best of luck :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

Petrol (gas) and food are both quite expensive items in New Zealand.

And as zhuhai said activities may be very expensive. Many tours or activities are over $200.00 per day out, but there is also so much to do and see that is FREE.

Many are also taking to bikes, takes longer but you do see more and we now have many great bike trails.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
9,990 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

You havent explained how you intend to travel around New Zealand, where you intend to stay in New Zealand in the evenings and what attractions you intend visiting whilst here.

If you want to hitchhike everywhere and stay in YHA type accomodation then you will probably be able to operate on $NZ100 per day each.

We have people who feed a family on less than $500 per week but they are stationary and dont go looking at the tourist sites.

A bit more info would be helpful. The fact you intend to stay here for two months seems to indicate that you have done some resarch on the country, its attractions and costings outside of TA.

Can a tourist in you part of the world have a good time on $50 per day doing what they want and need to do, including travel, accomodation, food, and take in the attractions. If they cant then you probably wont in NZ either.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

I spent 28 nights on a great trip around New Zealand. Used the hop on/hop off bus for transport, stayed in YHA dorms and did many of the tourist and adventure activities. It came to about NZ$2500 for transport, accommodation, food and other small expenses. And NZ$1200 for activities.

Springdale, Utah
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

Many thanks to y'all who responded to my query. @ "Accidentaltourist", sounds like you had a great time in NZ. But double your costs(for 2 of us) and for over twice as long, then it looks to be outside our budget. We want to avoid the worst of the winter here in Utah, which is December to end February. So maybe another winter when the exchange rate is more favorable...I know from friends how gorgeous and exciting NZ is.

In the meantime, we are heading to Panama, Colombia and Equador. If you peruse my travel map, you will see how much we love traveling the world!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,522 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

What makes you think the US$ is going to go up any time soon? Do you have a crystal ball or inside information we should know about ;-)

I did try to offer you cheaper options and you didn't reply to our questions about your travel style. I hope you make it to NZ sometime soon!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

While $50 per person a day might not be adequate if you are going for paid activities, I think it's entirely possible to keep your expenses down.

NakedBus sells unlimited ride bus passes for $600 which are valid for one year. This amounts to $10 a day for a 2 month trip. Dorm rooms cost around $20 - $30 a night and you can get proper meals outside for $5 and self cater for less. You could hitchhike and/or couchsurf to save costs. Tap water is safe to drink in NZ and you could save a few dollars each day by not needing to buy bottled water.

As for activities, as others have mentioned above, there are many free activities you can do and others that are of minimal cost. Discount coupon site www.grabone.co.nz regularly offers deals for a variety tourist/adventure activities. While I was in NZ I got a coupon for bungy jump at 50% of the standard price.

NZ is a beautiful country and I am sure you will love it.

Springdale, Utah
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

Thanks again to all of you for the replies. I should have mentioned that I am 62 years young and my wife and I enjoy the comfort of cheap hostels(private room/shared bathroom) in South America that can be had for $15-$25 per night (per room). Some even include breakfast and dinner!We also carry a tent and sleeping bags for those multi-day hiking trips along the way (Machu Picchu, Torres de Paine, etc). So until I can afford NZ, it's Central and South America for now. Airfares are half the price too. Thanks again to all and enjoy the summer/winter, whichever hemisphere you're in !

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
9,990 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expensive in New Zealand?

I dont think we will see the OP down under soon. I get the impressioin that they are the type of travellers who look to exploit those less fortunate than themselves and dont pay for it. Its just an assumnption because we never got any answers to our questions