We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire in each city

Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
car hire in each city

Hi, I will be cruising NZ in November & have a day in Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington, Napier, tauranga & Auckland. I want to hire a car in Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington & Napier but all the car hire places on the internet want 3 day minimum. Does anyone know of a car hire Company that will hire for say, 8 hours?? Am willing to pay for 24 hours of course but not 3 days.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire in each city

There are some car rental places which service the cruise ship community, and don't insist on a three day minimum. Pegasus and nzrentacar do here in Dunedin, and will do so in other parts of the country as well. Maybe googling your towns with "cruise ship" as part of your search might pull up the right firms for you.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire in each city

Nz Rent a Car have offices in all the towns you mention and will be a good starting point for you - I have used them many times in my home town (Whangarei) and they are one of the most flexible companies in terms of short rentals.

You obviously pay a higher daily rate than for longer hires, but you should be able to get a rate for a day at about $75 I would guess.

http://www.nzrentacar.co.nz/

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire in each city

You can also try the big internationals as well - e.g. Hertz, Avis, Budget.

What are your plans in Wellington? Wellington is a very walkable city, and walking/buses/the occasional taxi would be the better option if you are planning to stay in the CBD.

Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire in each city

NZ Rent a car start at about $150 for the cruise ship ports & some of the quotes I've had from Pegasus were $150 (Wellington) to $180 (Napier) except for Dunedin which came in at $92 which we will go with. Are there any others out there in Christchurch & Napier that charge a bit less does anyone know? After all the hire is only for between 5 & 8 hours.

5. Re: car hire in each city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:21