We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquakes!

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Earthquakes!

We are visiting Christchurch and the South Island arriving 1st August? Is this crazy given the recent quakes?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquakes!

No of course not, the rest of the South Island is unaffected. Christchurch CBD is out of action and will be for some time to come. I would reccomend you treat Christchurch as a transit point only at this time.

I live in Christchurch!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquakes!

There is accomodation in Christchurch which you may need when you arrive or depart. The Westfield Mall at Riccarton Rd is now regarded as the city business district with the Mall being very busy. Many of the tourist activities such as the trams are not avilable however punting onthe avon , and the Botanical Gardens are open.

Small earthquakes still rattle Christchurch but should not affect your enjoyment of Christchurch.

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquakes!

Thank you, our friends are in Christchurch but they have been lucky and are relatively unaffected in Burnside.

I appreciate your advice

4. Re: Earthquakes!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 06:16