We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting New Zealand beers?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting New Zealand beers?

What are some examples of great beers in New Zealand? I'm a huge fan of any kind of strong ale, though India Pale Ales and stouts are probably my favorites. I won't be able to make Wellington, which I have gathered is the capital of NZ beer; hiking is my first love and the glaciers, Routeburn, and Mount Cook are all on the South Island. If only I had two more weeks to come see the North Island!

What are some really creative beers I should be on the lookout for when in Queenstown, Franz Josef, or Wanaka? For anyone who knows American beers (US citizen here), my favorite breweries are Stone, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head, Deschutes, and Bear Republic. I know you kiwis gotta have some incredible beers, judging from one of my favorite Sierra Nevada brews: Southern Hemisphere Wet Hop Harvest, which uses New Zealand hops. Your climate must be incredible for growing them.

Edited: 23 March 2011, 05:01
South Island
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting New Zealand beers?

It is always good to have a hobby when on holiday. With your interests you should have an enjoyable visit to New Zealand, where we have a shared heritage with the Real Ales from England as well as the local brews, making for an excellent selection,

The webby of interest to start with and provide further information www.realbeer.co.nz/

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting New Zealand beers?

If you are visiting the west coast, when in Greymouth do a brewery tour of Monteiths. They do original brewing in open vats,

By doing the tour, you get to pour your own and drink as much as you like. Monteiths dark ale is one of their best sellers

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting New Zealand beers?

In Wanaka wanakabeerworks.co.nz/wanakabeerworks.co.nz/…

In Dunedin http://www.speights.co.nz/splash.aspx

enjoy :)

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
341 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting New Zealand beers?

Just about all the hops in New Zealand are grown at the north of the south island, especially around Motueka. Not sure if you are going to Abel Tasman as you would see some on the way there.

NZ does some good hoppy pilseners. I was drinking a bit of the Three Boys pilsener on the weekend which is a good drop.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting New Zealand beers?

You won't like Speights, if you're keen on the pale ale style beer (I loved the Dogfish Head brew so much when I visited their pub in Reheboth Beach that I put a few dozen in my car as my beer of choice as I drove across the USA). I also like Sierra Nevada.

Emerson's is probably the closest you'll get in the south (he's here in Dunedin) and every so often he actually brews up an APA. He also has a porter but not a stout - for that you could try the ISB Pitch Black, brewed in Invercargill. The Wanaka Beerworks does a nice pilsener, if that's of interest. In Queenstown, the Dux de Luxe is a brew pub, and their Nor'Wester Ale is very good. They also do a stout, but I've not tried it.

You'll see a number of NZ beers labelled IPA, such as Tui - don't be fooled, its not the real thing at all. In Fox, however, this might be as good as it gets.

New World supermarkets in particular are worth going into to find a selection of bottled beers, and that will broaden your range out considerably - I'd suggest the Epic Mayhem, if you can get it or its American style cousin, Epic Pale Ale. You probably won't see their Armageddon IPA in your travels, but if you do, grab one.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting New Zealand beers?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Since I'll be spending a lot of my trip in wilderness areas, I want to make sure in the limited time I have in cities I don't unknowingly go buy the NZ equivalent to Budweiser or Miller, lol. I don't know if you guys have the problem, but in the US InBEV/Anheiser-Busch and Miller-Coors put out a lot of lousy beers with labeling that tries to make them look like microbrews. That Monteith's tour sounds great, but Franz Josef is probably as far north as I'll make it. I probably won't be able to make Dunedin either, as I'll probably have my time divided up between Fiordland, Milford Sound, Franz Josef, and Aoraki most likely. I'll definitely be looking to check out Dux de Luxe and Wanaka Beerworks though (I like pilseners if they got hops, which unfortunately rules out most American ones, lol). NZBarry, which Dogfish did you enjoy? I'm an enormous fan of their Palo Santo Marron, and their brown ale and 60/90 Minute IPAs are pretty good too (though Stone's two IPAs are king!).

7. Re: Interesting New Zealand beers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 00:15