We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

My wife and i are going to be in New Zealand Jan3-16 and are just starting our planning. We're flying in from Sydney and really start and end anywhere. We would like to cover as much as possible and are really active. Hikes, wine tours, beaches, bungee.. we're up for it all!

Any suggestions? We were thinking of landing in Auckland, making our way down south (by car?) and then fly out from Queenstown.

Any help is appreciated!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

Welcome to the forum D :)

Take some time to read the many itineraries posted on the forum. Once you have an idea of where you want to go, post it here and we can help fine tune it with you.

With just two weeks to explore both islands you will need to be quite ruthless in keeping the itinerary moving.

Happy planning :)

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

I think you need to look at the numerous past itineraries suggested on this forum and then work out your priorities regarding what you want to see and do. You are here at the height of the holiday period for locals so just keep that in mind.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

Check out www.newzealand.com

Remeber it is our peak holiday season so you may have to make some bookings if you have must sees.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

Ok we've come up with an ambitious itinerary.. I have been to Christchurch before 10yrs ago and made the trip to Queenstown, Invergargill, Dunedin and am used to long distance driving, so we are not afraid and can't sit still! We also want to see as much as we can and rest when we're dead. We fly in from Australia and return there after for 2wks in NZ, then back to Canada.

What do you guys think?

Jan.3 .. Arrive Auckland 5pm Stay Auckland

4 .. Ferry to Weineke Island, Stay Auckland

5 .. Pickup Campervan, drive to Rotorua 3hrs, Stay Rotorua

6 .. Drive to Lake Taupo 1hr, Stay Lake Taupo

7 .. Drive to Tongariro Volcano to hike all day, Stay in Nat'l Park

8 .. Drive to Wellington 4.5hrs, Stay Wellington

9 .. Ferry AM to Picton 3.5hrs, drive to Nelson or Marahau( Abel Tasman) (2/3hrs), Stay Nelson or Marahau

10 .Water taxi to north end Abel Hasman track, hike 20k back to Marahau, Stay Marahau

11 .Drive to Franz Josef Glacier 6.5hrs, Stay in area

12 .Drive to Wanaka or Queenstown 3.5/4.5hrs, Stay in area

13 .Drive to Te Apau 2hrs. Hike,Cruise

14 .Te Apau Hike,Cruise

15 .Drive to Queenstown 2hrs, drop off campervan

16 .Fly out NZ

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

Some of your drive times are unrealistic. You should allow a minimum of 4.5 hours to drive Franz to Wanaka, close to 6 hours to Queenstown. It takes even longer when driving a campervan.

Considering you have such long drives planned, I suggest you drop the campervan idea and rent a car. Campgrounds will be heavily booked in Jan and you will need to make advance bookings. Freedom camping is a contentious issue and is only possible if your campervan has full toilet, kitchen, shower on board. Even then, it is restricted.

http://www.camping.org.nz/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

Thanks for the advice. We have rented a fullly contained campervan for Jan.4-16 and have narrowed the itinerary to:

Jan.3 -Arrive Auckland

4-Drive to Taraunga

5-Taupo

6-Hike Tongariro

7-Wellington

8-Ferry across, Nelson

9-Abel Tasman hike

10-Franz Josef

11-Wanaka

12-Queenstown

13-Te Anau

14-Milford Sound

15-Queenstown

16-Christchurch

We were thining of spending perhaps 2 nights instead to soak up some sun in Tauranga and skip Taupo? Probably going to skip Rotorua as we've heard it will be really busy and touristy. We understand the driving times and are not afraid! We plan on staying in holiday parks and freedom camp only when permitted.

Any thoughts?

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

It is unfortunate that you have an itinerary with too much driving. Travelling about in New Zealand is more enjoyable if you make the stops/short walks during the journey. Campervans are ideally suited for this mode of travel but if you just want to drive the roads a car is more useful.

Consider the following, In fine weather there are 10 or 20 scenic stops/walks etc. that you could stop at on the road between Franz Josef and the Wanaka township. Just driving through these areas without doing these stops is a sad mistake many overseas visitors make.

Therefore can I suggest you try and decide if your holiday is just about driving or viewing the scenic landscapes this country has to offer, and adjust your itinerary accordingly.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,640 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

I'm sorry but it is not enough to say you are not "afraid" of long drives. I don't know where "dglad" is or what kind of roads you are used to, but NZ roads are twisty & narrow. Sometimes you have to give way on one way bridges. On the Milford Road you might have to wait more than 15 minutes for the traffic lights on the narrow Homer Tunnel. Every year tourists die, or worse - kill others by falling asleep at the wheel. Driving 6 hours a day is just not sensible.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

I appreciated all your input but my wife and I (from Canada) have travelled extensively and most recently last year travelled to Costa Rica and spent the entire 2 weeks driving the country and loved it. I have been to NZ before for a month for work and drove CC-Queenstown-Ingergargill-Dunedin-CC early mornings, in a Ford cargo van and during winter.

We don't like to sit still and my idea of a vacation is to see as much as possible and wake up early.

Can't wait!

Any suggestions on 'tweaking' our intinerary is appreciated!

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Week Itinerary suggestions January?

Hi

That's not much time. It takes longer to drive around NZ than you think.

if you haven't been before try just one island.

The South Island is the most dramatic scenery wise and also has great walks.

At the top the Marlborough Sounds, Queen Charlotte Track, Abel Tasman and Heaphy Track.

places like Arrowtown, Wanakw, Queenstown, Milford Sound and of course the wild West Coast.

My advice is don't do too much driving and instead just enjoy doing things

Good Luck