We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a UK senior get discounts?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Can a UK senior get discounts?

Just wondering as I'm 62 - am I eligible for any senior discounts in NZ or are they just for NZ citizens?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a UK senior get discounts?

Seniors in NZ fit into 2 categories those who are members of www.seniors.co.nz which is a disccount scheme for over 55s. Check out their website for details of membership.

The other group are those over 65 which is the age of the NZ pension. At age 65 NZ citizens are given a GOld card which allows them many discounts including free local travel during off peak hours.

If you have some form of "seniors" discount card from UK I would always ask the question "Do you give a Seniors discount?" You never know your luck. The travel concession is only available to NZ citizens over 65 .

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a UK senior get discounts?

62 isnt old..

65 is the usual age, and many companies will honour a discount for over 65.

Seniors card acept members from age 55, and if a company has signed up for seniors or Grey power, then they will offer a discount from 55.

Suoper gold card is posted to all NZ citizens once they turn 65, and companies who offer discounts for super gold card can be found on their website.

some companies around Chirstchurch offer dicount for 'senior citizens', however if you are from a different country, they will tell them they aqre not a citizen so will decline any discount offer

For me , 62 year old pays ful fare the same anyone else

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a UK senior get discounts?

Thank you very much beanb41 and coaster2. At 60 UK residents get free local travel and discounted national rail and coach travel too plus various other discounts. I'll only be in NZ for 1 week but it just occurred to me that maybe I'd be eligible for something although I'd find it perfectly understandable if it's reserved for NZ nationals who've actually paid into pension schemes etc - in fact that would be a lot fairer!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a UK senior get discounts?

For info travel in discounts in Australia are also restricted to citizens

Hampshire
Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a UK senior get discounts?

Just a small point of interest with reference to the above, The wife and I are over 60 and we were charged the seniors rate for the ferry crossing which we shall be using in January. Apparently this is applicable to anyone over 60.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a UK senior get discounts?

Oh, that's interesting Fordfucus - thank you for that information.

Thank you beanb41 for the info about Australia.

7. Re: Can a UK senior get discounts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 15:16