We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The LIfe of a Backpacker

Which New Zealand hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The LIfe of a Backpacker

Just a few questions , that i hope people can answer me. My son is coming to nz for a year on a work holiday visa, my questions are:

1. When he goes skiing, do they have clothes that he can rent , ski pants (etc)

2. Where does he keep his visa and money when he is traveling, or having to work or going out partying.

3. should he try to book his hostels ahead of time, or is that a problem finding space.

Thanks for all of your help from a very worried mommy

kathy

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

The hire section of ski shops do hire clothing such as ski pants

Some accomodation places have secure storage or a safe for valuables. It is of concern that some accomodation places do have a security problem particularily with dorm rooms, so do not take undue risk with valuables

It isnt so imprtant to book ahead during of season periods for travel, but during Dec - MArch, it pays to book early and like wise if traveling to a busy ski resort, it also helps to have accomodation sorted before you arrive.

Alberta
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

So when he sleeps should he keep his visa on him, or what??? Oh we are so ignorant to how life works, or i should say i am, :)

Does anyone have any inside info on keeping all his posessions and personals, visa , so on safe, He does have a belt that goes around his neck for his visa and money, so should he wear that all the time.. Please help

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

When we travel out of country, no matter where, our money belts never leave our bodies except to shower, & even then they are in the shower enclosure with us. This belt contains passport, driver's license, credit cards, major money & other valuables which are enclosed in zip-up plastic bags. We believe the belt worn next to skin is safer than the necklace. Overkill, maybe, but safe.

Slovenia
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

The visa will be stamped in his passport so he should watch after his passport as he would watch it at home. It's wise to make a copy of the passport picture page and the visa page just in case something happens.

The money will be safest in an account and with an ATM card it will be radilly available whenever he finds it necessary.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

Hi kealwood,

These days it is more likely that your son's work visa will be issued electronically. If so, he should print off a copy and keep it with his passport so that he can produce it if required.

The work visa should show automatically on the NZ Customs computer when he goes through passport control. This will authorise customs to stamp his passport with a work permit.

Depending on how much cash he brings into NZ, it may be an idea to have some of in the form of travellers cheques.

I recommend that he opens a bank account when he gets here. It is probable that his employer will pay the wages directly into the bank account. Your son can then draw cash from an ATM as he needs it.

Cheers

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

NZ is generally a safe country, but as anywhere, you should exercise normal commomon sense.

Passports are not a high value item to steal in NZ. There is not a huge market for stolen passports, and it is very common for passports which have been left lying on park benches or in coaches (yes, it happens) to be returned or handed in to the police. However the inconveniance if your passport is lost or stolen makes it worthwhile to take very good care of it. I've always taken a few colour copies of my passport when I travel. I don't know what good this would be if it were lost, as I doubt I could get out of the country with it, but it makes me feel better.

Forget travelers cheques. THese are hardly ever used, at least in NZ. Have money in your bank acount, and use your debit card. It may be worthwhile to have two separate acounts and cards, as if one card is stolen then the acounty would be frozen until you got a new card, and this could take some time.

As your son will be in NZ for a year he should open a NZ bank acount in order to avoid overseas transaction fees. ATM's are everywhere in NZ, and all shops accept debit cards (EFTPOS, in NZ).

It is unlikely he will need his passport while he is in NZ. Unlike many other countries we do not have to show identity cards. passports etc when checking into hotels, doing banking etc, although if he is under 25 he may need to prove his age when drinking in a bar (legal drinking age is 18, but anyone who looks young will be asked for identification). THe copy of his passport would be good for that. Otherwise a photo ID, such as a drivers license, student card, etc. What I am getting at is that he may be able to store his passport somewhere safe, and just travel around without it. Bank safe deposits are the obvious choice, but this costs money. Could he leave it with a friend for safe keeping?

I know that as a parent you worry about your kids, particularly when they travel, but he will be as safe travelling around NZ as he would be travelling around the States, and possibly more so. Just tell him not to do stupid things. Whatever you tell him he will ignore you, but it will make you feel better.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

Hi Again Kathy,

I forgot to mention that prospective employers will need to see your son's passport to confirm that he does have a work permit.

To help him on arrival in Auckland, there is a very good visitor information centre at the international terminal. Leaving the Customs area, it's to the left just past the cafe.

Cheers.

Alberta
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

Thanks to everyone for releving a mothers worry:)

I think I worry more about him , then he worries about himself. I know he will be fine, but its just a mom thing... A whole year is such a long time.

Thanks

Kathy

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

Remembering that the legal drinking age in NZ is 18, he will also have to have his passport with him when he goes to bars as they shouldn´t accept a US driving licence as ID.

Although I´m sure as a good son he won´t be doing any of that ;-)

10. Re: The LIfe of a Backpacker

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 11:20