We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

I know there has been too much discussions on excess car reductions,etc... but has anyone used https://tripcover.com.au/ ??

They seem to cover excess of up to 4000-6000 at low daily rates and visitors to Australia can buy this.. Very tempting. Cons is that the $$ will be deducted from your card and you have to make a claim to get it reimbursed.

Has anyone used this or heard of this company?

36 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,470 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

No, but if you have decent travel insurance you'll be covered for that as well as medical stuff, theft, cancellations etc. Of course you would need to check a policy before taking one out to see what it would cover.

2. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 02:31
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

I am also planning to go ahead with tripcover.

Do you have any experience with them.

phnom penh
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

Sounds good to me.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

I see the website says international travellers can purchase the insurance as well, but wouldn't they be better served by taking out an overall travel insurance policy? Every such policy I've bought in the past covered me for at least $4000 excess PLUS covering me for illness, injury, lost luggage, etc etc etc.

I can see the benefit for locals though because it could well be cheaper than paying the higher rate to cover the excess that rental companies charge. I don't rent vehicles locally very often, but will look into it more (for the next time).

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

i've used tripcover a few times now. Mainly via their app - when i pickup the car i take out the policy.

Allianz underwrites the policy and they are pretty trusted company. I haven't had to claim so can't say how smooth that process is.

When i compared my options it was cheaper for rentals under a week and i was able to use my frequent flyer number to get a discount.

Level Contributor
2,489 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

Agree with YorkFoodie that I can't see the value in this product travelling from Singapore, Saudi or Cambodia to Australia. If you don't have travel insurance to cover you, you have more worries than just ER on your car.

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

I know the post is a bit older by now, but I plan a trip to Exmouth and thought about getting Tripcover.

I won't get a travel insurance because it is just a short domestic trip.

So anybody else got any new experience (positve/negative) with Tripcover?

Auckland, New...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

I just saw this forum, I tried to get hold of tripcover but ended up getting through to alliance who then transferred me again and I ended up on hold for 10 minutes. Lost patience in the end and hung up. In the end I found an alternative called RentalCover.com. They have a range of excesses which includes travel insurance and you can cancel at anytime before your trip. Didn't have wait on hold either when called up and they gave me a 20% discount. Was really happy with the outcome for the price.

Hobart, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover

I took out a nil excess policy with them for a seven day Hertz car hire. Hertz say I scratched their car which if I did was damage on damage, but then they hold all the cards.

Hertz froze $2,000 dollars on my credit card for 10 days till they decided the damage was $755. I claimed on line with Tripcover giving all the required documentation. With no other communication In a little over 10 days they credited direct to my bank account less a claim processing fee my $755.00

Tripcover worked for me, the only down side was carrying the $2,000 for ten days and then the $755 for another 10 days. I would use them again.

Reply to: Car rental excess reduction- Tripcover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted