We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
77 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

I am excited to say that I am planning a 2 1/2 week trip to Western Australia for sometime in 2013. I know it's really in the future, but I need to request my vacation time now. I can go anytime of the year, so my question is when is the best time to travel to Western Australia. I have read about the weather, but I am looking for an answer that reflects weather, cheaper travel costs, fun events happening at the time, etc. I realize this can be rather subjective based on what activities one likes to do, but I just want to know what people's thoughts are.

Thanks in advance !!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

In my opinion, the best time to visit WA is April-May and Sept-Nov.

Generally speaking, you'll find blue skies, warm days, cool nights and settled weather. These are my absolute favorite months in WA.

Sept-Nov is our spring and the wildflowers are out, which makes it an exceptional time to visit. The further south you go, the cooler the weather, the further north it's warmer and more humid.

Times to avoid are Christmas-end January, and over the Easter holiday, which is a very busy travel time here. It seems all of WA is on holiday in January and prices skyrocket. All school holidays and public holidays are best avoided for the same reason. You'll find 2013 dates listed here:

det.wa.edu.au/education/termdates/future.html

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,159 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

I concur with Mel for all the same reasons and would add that whale watching season is Sept to Nov (and tailing off into Dec) as well.

Without knowing what your interests are and what part of the state you are planning to visit we can't be more specific. Bear in mind WA is three time bigger than Texas and lengthwise is the same as the west coast of USA. so naturally the weather is extremely different in the north compared to the south.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

As mentioned WA is huge & also has a cyclone & marine stinger season in Nth WA. It would help a little if you gave some more details regarding your own interests & what places you want to visit.

ie.. Do you want to dive / swim with the Whale Sharks ?

Do you like the beaches & summer ?

etc etc..

My favourite time in WA is summer ( early Dec / late Feb ) for Perth & Sth WA. Perth has beautiful beaches - & usually lovely hot summer's if your a beach person.

July / August for Nth WA. - out of school Hols.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

For two and a half weeks, I'd spend it in Perth and the southwest of the state.

Sept/October is my suggested time for you. Springtime is lovely here.

As mentioned above, it's a huge state .. so travel between towns can take an hour or two. You'll suffer jetlag for the first day or so ...

I suggest you base yourself in Perth for the first 5 or 6 days or so ... then hire a car and head to Albany; follow the coast to Denmark, Walpole then inland to Pemberton, Bridgetown; to Nannup, Augusta, Margaret River, Dunsborough, Busselton, Bunbury and Mandurah. You can follow those towns on Google Maps.

www.westernaustralia.com

This website should help.

Once you decide if you want to do that, we can advise more websites, accommodation, things to do and things not to miss for you at all those places... and what they have to offer.

You'll love our state and we're determined it will be a holiday to remember forever ... then you can tell your friends!

albany
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

Just a quick comment on the Whale Watching dates. In Albany, our season runs from June to October

Julie

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
77 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

Thanks everyone for your responses! Eaglemaniac, thanks for the suggested itinerary. The pictures of the towns look so beautiful. Is renting a car the best way to travel or is there reliable, convenient public transportation between cities?

We want to spend time at the beaches, tour a winery, and, of course, see kangaroos. I will have to spend the next several months planning what else I would like to see. I am not brave enough to swim with sharks, so I will pass on that activity :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,159 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

They are not sharks - they are Whale Sharks - basically a giant fish - the most placid of all the sea creatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_shark

You can see a Kangaroo in any zoo on the planet - but you will never ever see one of these incredible creatures outside their own habitat - alive.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

Best to hire a car to get there....

Follow Albany Hwy through Kojonup to Albany I can recommend Vancouver Guest House to stay. They have parking at the back and it's 50 metres from the main street.

Between Denmark and Walpole, you must visit William Bay - its beautiful.

Just before Walpole is the Tree Top Walk. Pemberton you could visit or stay overnight at the Karri Valley Resort. Bridgetown is lovely ... then you follow the road to Nannup along the Blackwood River to Margaret River.

Base yourself at Margaret River for a couple of nights ... and go to the tourist centre in the main street and you can get an organised tour of wineries etc ... so you can see lots and not have to worry about driving.

www.margaretriver.com

At the mouth of the Margaret River and Yallingup is surfing beaches.

Dunsborough is a nice beach too... not as many waves. They have a great bakery too!

At Busselton walk the long jetty.

Bunbury has a Dolphin Centre - you may be lucky to see some.

Return to Perth via Mandurah and have afternoon tea on the Estuary.

Where are you staying in Perth? Or where would you like to stay in Perth? We can give you some suggestions if you let us know.

Singapore, null...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

Hello

I'm also interested in traveling to Perth mid Oct. Where should we go.. south or north of Perth ?

south sounds great but I'm afraid it's too cold and we cannot swim..

north sounds great also.. but less interesting ????

need help !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Time to Travel to Western Australia

Vanessa... Please don't be offended, but its best if you start your own question, otherwise people will be confused as to who they are replying to, and everyone will be confused. That way we will reply to you only. You will get lots of help.

Please let us know when you intend to come and for how long.