We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Perth

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Maunganui...
10 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Perth

My husband and I are travelling to Perth at the end of this month and will be there for 4 nights before going down to Margaret River for a night and then flying back to NZ. I am so confused as to where to stay CBD/fringe or Freemantle. We will have been in Melbourne CBD for 3 nights prior and also a walking trip on Coast of Victoria. We like nice accommodation/boutique but not B&B.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,499 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Perth

Much depends on your budget- see the reviews for ideas. Personally I prefer Fremantle as it is more walkable with lots of good places to eat in easy reach.

Singapore
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Perth

Two years ago, we stayed at Rydges in Perth and the Esplanade in Fremantle. Both were ok but not sure any changes since then.

Actually, even one stays in Fremantle, it is pretty easy to catch a train to Perth cbd. The train schedule is regular.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Perth

Depends on what you want to do - if you're most interested in activities in/around the city, staying in the CBD makes sense. If you're after the beach, Scarborough or Cottesloe makes sense. If you're interested mostly in the activities in/around Fremantle, Freo makes sense.

As mentioned though, it's very easy to get from Freo to the CBD - about 30 minutes on a train, so no need to stress about it. The CBD is pretty dead in the evenings, whereas businesses in Freo stay open later.

I'd guess you'd find more boutique style accommodation in Freo.

Will you have a car?

perth
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Perth

Just to warn you there is a major sailing event commencing in Fremantle at start of December so accommodation in Fremantle and Perth is heavily booked and even more overpriced than usual. Which area you stay depends on what you wish to see, do you have car etc. Have you considered 2 nights in Marg River and only 3 in Perth/Freo? Marg River area is very beautiful with lots to see.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,948 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Perth

Hi,

As mentioned it depends on your budget ??

The weather is starting to warm up so staying around the beaches would also be ideal. It really does depend on your own interests.

Fremantle / CBD / Cottesloe / Scarborough -

Fremantle is more compact regarding having everything at your fingertips whilst the beaches are fab too but IMO you do need a car if staying outside the CBD.

I have stayed at numerous hotels in Perth due to business. Hopefully, the link below may assist you.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18830-Getting_…

Mount Maunganui...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Perth

Thanks for all that. I have booked 3 nights in Freemantle and now plan to spend 2 nights in Margaret River area. Flying out 5 pm on the last day so have plenty of time. Any must sees. We will be driving.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Perth

Must-do's in Margaret River are too many to list without knowing your taste/preferences.

Here's a website that covers most of what Margaret River can offer:

http://www.margaretriver.com/

We can give detailed information if you want to know about anything specific to your taste.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Perth

which place u booked at fremantle, i tried few..but no one is available : (

Mount Maunganui...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Perth

I managed to get 3 nights at Bannister Suites. they still have rooms but didn't have a Saturday night so have opted for Margaret River for 2 nights instead. The Esplanade Hotel appears to have lots of rooms but looks quite pricey. As someone mentioned earlier there is a sailing event on so is heavily booked. I just put my dates into www.wotif.com and the availability comes up. They have a good map too.

10. Re: Where to stay in Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2012, 21:19