We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

Hi everyone,

We are planning a drive from Sydney to Perth at the end of December this year. Can you take a look at my itinerary (total of 21 nights) to see if it is achievable? We would like to see the sights and would like suggestions of where and how long to stay and what to see. Would also appreciate any advice or tips regarding this trip. Thanks.

Sydney to Hay. Overnight in Hay.

Hay to Adelaide. 3 nights in Adelaide.

Adelaide to Port Lincoln via Port Augusta. 2 nights Port Lincoln.

Port Lincoln to Ceduna stopping to see Coffin Bay and Streaky Bay. Overnight in Ceduna.

Ceduna to Eucla. See Bunda Cliffs. Overnight Eucla.

Eucla to Balladonia. Overnight Balladonia.

Balladonia to Esperance. Overnight Esperance.

Esperance to Albany. 3 nights in Albany. Tree top walk

Albany to Margaret River. 4 nights in or around MR. Visit wineries, cafes, caves and beaches.

Margaret River to Bunbury via Busselton. Overnight in Bunbury?

Bunbury to Perth. 3 nights in Perth. Visit Fremantle and Perth beaches. Should we make time for a trip to Rottnest Island?

One last question: should we spend New Years Eve in Ceduna or Port Lincoln?

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

First - your timing - end of December - hot and PEAK holiday time - where are you staying?? You should look at booking as soon as possible due to school holidays and public holidays, it will be tight to book at at many places already.

<<Albany to Margaret River. 4 nights in or around MR. Visit wineries, cafes, caves and beaches.>>

This will give you three full days to look around which will mean choices but plenty to choose from , appealing to the ages of the people in your group.

<<Margaret River to Bunbury via Busselton. Overnight in Bunbury?>>

You could do this but its an easy 3 hr trip to Perth from MR on new highways and freeways, so you could just drive straight through without undue effort. Busselton is easily accessible just a half hour drive from MR to spend a day and then return to MR - consider extending your accom one more day in MR to prevent loss of time to pack up and travel, check in and unpack, perhaps.

<<Bunbury to Perth. 3 nights in Perth. Visit Fremantle and Perth beaches. Should we make time for a trip to Rottnest Island? >>

You can book a ferry trip to Rottnest based on the weather forecast - if its too windy or during a heatwave it may not be pleasant and you may choose not to go, otherwise its a good place to visit.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
19,384 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

Kerry's comments are spot on. I would reinforce her suggestion to book ahead wherever you are staying- places along the Nullarbor are especially limited and it's not as if you can just nip up the road. We came back from Canberra just before Christmas years ago and watched a man with a wife and three children perform like a trained seal because he hadn't booked ahead at Eucla and there was no room at the inn. So avoidable. Similarly the southwest will be chokkas.

Watch out for camels along the Nullarbor, seriously. We had one running straight up the middle of the highway for ages and it wouldn't get out of the way!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
24,532 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

Nullarbotnet is an invaluable guide to crossing the Nullarbor. http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/

It would be helpful if you ceased posting these identical questions all over forums.

Luigi

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
24,532 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

If you google "Port Lincoln NYE" you'll discover that there is a public NYE celebration, but it will be dry this year following the fatality at last year's event.

I don't think I'd favour Ceduna for NYE, personally.

Luigi

albany
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

Accommodation will be your main issue at that time of year.

As Kerry said, it is already very full throughout the South West/Great Southern.

Julie

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

Hi Luigi,

Sorry about the multiple posts but its been a few years since I posted on TA and couldn't find the appropriate place to post, I originally posted to the Perth Tasmania forum (didn't know there was a Perth there).

Thanks for your help.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

I can't help but think you should add another night or two to Esperance...so much to see and do in the area. At the very least you should get out to Lucky Bay in Cape Le Grand Nat'l Park - it's 50 km SE of Esperance.

I also suggest you make the detour to Fitzgerald River Nat'l Park during your drive from Esperance to Albany. We did this on our way from Esperance to Albany and the trip took 8 hours including the detour. Well worth it, incredibly unique.

…wa.gov.au/component/…

The Tree Top Walk is closer to Nornalup - I suggest you do it on the way to MR to save backtracking. The drive from Albany to MR takes about 4.5 hours, the Tree Top Walk and Ancient Empire can be done in an hour, give or take.

Agree you should skip the overnight in Bunbury and just head to Perth. You can stop in Busselton/Bunbury along the way.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 14:13
Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

Thanks Melnq8,

I have added extra night to both Esperance and Albany and deleted the nights at Balladonia (and Bunbury as Kerry suggested).

I have heard that you need a 4WD to go to the Cape Le Grand National Park. Is this true?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

You can access Lucky Bay and a few other spots in Cape Le Grand with a two wheel drive (we did it in a Toyota Corolla), but some of it is 4x4 access only.

Details here:

…wa.gov.au/component/…

Edited: 20 September 2011, 20:39
Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Sydney to Perth, WA December 2011

Thanks everyone, your advice has been very helpful.

Get answers to your questions about Perth