We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

Hello.

Piecing together a trip to Western Australia in the 2012 Australian Fall term, right now roughly between mid-March & mid-May. I'd like info regarding WA's holidays & school term during that period & how they might effect my trip. I'm doing WA & Japan back to back, so looking to save $ on hotels, etc.

I'll be all along the coast during my trip, from Ningaloo to Esperance, exact dates yet to be determined.

Holiday questions:

- I'd like to know how Good Friday (6 April 2012), Easter Saturday (7th), Easter (8th), Easter Monday (9th), & Easter Tuesday (10th) would effect a tourist; all these show up on a calendar as holidays. I'm guessing people travel more over that weekend, so maybe hotels are harder to book & maybe more expensive? Or would people be staying home? Would grocery stores be closed? Gas stations?

- How does Anzac Day (Wednesday, 25 April 2012) effect tourists driving around, booking hotels, etc? More or less road traffic? Businesses/tourist stuff closed? Gas stations closed?

- Any other holidays or days I should know about between mid-March & mid-May?

School Schedule:

- In the U.S. & in Japan, when school's out, there are more people travelling around, traffic's busier, hotel rooms are harder to book & more expensive. Is it the same in WA?

- I've read conflicting info regarding when school's Autumn vacation is. One source says 14 April to 29 April. Another source says that vacation always straddles the Easter holiday. Can anyone confirm this stuff or tell me WA's Autumn school vacation time?

Thank you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

Hi TA,

Accommodation is usually difficult to come by in school and public holidays but gas - we call them petrol - stations and supermarkets stay open. Smaller supermarkets, like IGA, are open every

day of the year and r everywhere.

I would suggest starting in Ningaloo around Easter then making your way down to Esperance as weather and whale sharks better in Exmouth area that time of year. For details on Aussie school holidays go to www.det.wa.edu.au/education/termdates/. I live in Perth and have travelled all along the coast from Eucla to Wyndham so if u have any other queries please feel free to ask.

It is a wonderful trio and the ocean and beaches are like know where else. The snorfelling in Coral Bay and Turquoise bay - Ningaloo - is awesome and best thing - easy access off shore.

Good luck. As I said, any questions, fire away.

Cheers,

AWA.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

That's trip not trio!!! And snorkelling not snorfelling. What's snorfelling?? Don't know but we don't do it in Oz - not that I know off :)

Wonder what Steve Jobs might have done to make touch pad fool proof!

Hi TA,

Accommodation is usually difficult to come by in school and public holidays but gas - we call them petrol - stations and supermarkets stay open. Smaller supermarkets, like IGA, are open every

day of the year and r everywhere.

I would suggest starting in Ningaloo around Easter then making your way down to Esperance as weather and whale sharks better in Exmouth area that time of year. For details on Aussie school holidays go to www.det.wa.edu.au/education/termdates/. I live in Perth and have travelled all along the coast from Eucla to Wyndham so if u have any other queries please feel free to ask.

It is a wonderful trio and the ocean and beaches are like know where else. The snorfelling in Coral Bay and Turquoise bay - Ningaloo - is awesome and best thing - easy access off shore.

Good luck. As I said, any questions, fire away.

Cheers,

AWA.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

School holidays in WA next year for Autumn are Friday 6th April to Wednesday 25th April inclusive (so includes Easter).

Those holidays are the most popular time for locals to travel to Exmouth/Coral Bay and you may already find it difficult to find reasonable accommodation.

Shops being open vary as to whether you are in what is classified* as a tourist precinct or regional centre or plain everyday town/suburb. Also depends on type of business. Very little is open Good Friday. All shops may open Easter Saturday, then Sunday & Monday refer to * above. ANZAC Day the majority of shops close, although permission is granted in some instances for places to open after midday (as a sign of respect and to allow people to attend the marches).

Public holidays and whether service stations (petrol or gas stations) are open will depend on locality. In the metro area, they will in the main be open. Smaller independents may close. Country - will depend on the town.

There are no other holidays in your required time frame.

There will be more people travelling during school holidays and all prices (accommodation/air fare etc) do generally increase.

Edited: 08 October 2011, 13:00
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

FYI - some restaurants charge a surcharge on public holidays too. Supposedly this practice was banned, but it still happens.

smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bar…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

As the title suggests - this page was made to contain information regarding holiday dates and other events that will effect accommodation around WA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255103-c163105/Perth…

Its located on the top right of the screen under the heading TOP QUESTIONS > Events affecting accom around WA.

As others have stated - yes in general any long weekend or school break is an excuse for folks to hit the road so accom around the state is at a premium and the roads are full of cars and caravans.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

You have planned to come at a really nice (and popular) time of year - we recommend Spring or Autumn for our overseas visitors (our trees dont really have leaves "falling" so its just Autumn however we do know you call your northern autumn "Fall" from US sitcoms)

As PerthiteOz has indicated, school holidays here are Friday 6th April to Wednesday 25th April - also very good advice to pre-book for that entire period in particular, as you will have lots of competition. (As you have already guessed, there are more people travelling around, traffic's busier, hotel rooms are harder to book & more expensive. Its the same in WA....)

Anzac Day being a Wednesday may be less obvious but if you are in some public places, people around you may observe a minute's silence as part of our remembrance traditions for fallen soldiers. There will be dawn wreath laying at local war memorial monuments in many towns and some businesses may close - some will reopen after midday.

Edited: 11 October 2011, 02:14
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

Thank you all very much for the info. Very helpful stuff.

I like to travel when there are fewer people so it looks like it might be best to be in WA in 2nd half of March & see Japan's blossoms the 1st half of April.

In a land called Oz, with a place called Ningaloo, & something called Roos running around, I figured Snorfelling was just something I hadn't tried yet.

8. Re: Western Australia 2012 Holiday & School Schedule Inquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 10:16