We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Camping trip to Kokerbin Rock

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Camping trip to Kokerbin Rock

Last weekend I took my middle son (11) for a camping trip into the wheatbelt with the aim of climbing up Kokerbin Rock and building a campfire to poke sticks at.

We left on a Saturday morning and drove out through Mundaring to York, which was busy with locals coming into town for shopping and sport. It is such a lovely historic town and we really liked the Penny Farthing lolly shop (we were given a free bag of Jaffa's when we entered - very nice!), the beaut old stone buildings and hotels in the main street, the Rabbit Shed antique shop and the pedestrian swing bridge over the Avon River. There is a large car park suitable for caravans next to the river along with toilets and park with BBQ and picnic tables.

We then pushed on to Kokerbin Rock, passing by an emu farm not far out of York. Kokerbin Rock is located about 210 km east of Perth (40 km north-west from the town of Bruce Rock) and is a huge granite monolith 122 m high (I have read that it is the third largest in Australia).

There is a good dirt road to the Rock after you leave the highway. There is a free camping area with flushing toilets, tap, picnic tables and fireplaces at the base of the rock. We gathered some wood from the side of the road (outside of the nature reserve!) for the fire. We pitched a tent there, even though we eneded up sleeping in our station wagon - as I was worried about the chilly July night. There were two other couples staying there with caravans.

The rock itself is awesome and fun to climb. The view of the surrounding wheat/sheep country from the top is magnificant (they recently blocked off the vehicle access track onto the rock) and the climb is a good workout. We saw kangaroos, lots of parrots and interesting moss/lichen communities on the rock surface. The rock is amazing and really feels like a very special place.

The evening was chilly but star gazing in these dark outback skies was worth it and of course the camp fire kept us warm and entertained.

The next morning we went for another walk around and over the rock and then headed back to Perth via Meckering, Northam and Toodyay. Lots of activity in Toodyay on a Sunday afternoon and we are keen to go back there for a day trip to explore the river and National Park.

This trip is highly recommended and I plan to go back!

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Camping trip to Kokerbin Rock

Excellent report leafy. I'm just re-discovering a lot of these wheatbelt towns myself and taking regular weekend trips eastwards. In my early years I would have thought 'boring' but now find there is so much to appreciate about our regional areas. I think most Perth locals go as far as York or Toodyay and never really explore further. And you're right...there is something special about sitting on a rock in the middle of no-where :)))

As soon as the wildflower season picks up, Im heading out to find another rock!

2. Re: Trip Report - Camping trip to Kokerbin Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 20:07