We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

This happened yesterday and I am 1) nervous that this is someone who has used TA because it is all very familiar to me- especially the grandmother bit. It is still very sad.

2) It also serves as a reminder to our foreign visitors and "locals" that the roads here in WA are not as "easy" to drive a they may appear.

Woman dies in car crash

Dec 11, 2009 10:41am

An elderly woman has died and two of her family members are in a critical condition after a car accident in Porongurup near Mount Barker in the state's Great Southern.

An elderly woman has died and two of her family members are in a critical condition after a car accident in Porongurup near Mount Barker in the state's Great Southern.

Police say a 41-year-old man was driving along Chester Pass Road yesterday afternoon when his car drifted off the road and hit a group of trees.

A 7-year-old boy and a 24-year-old woman, from the same family, were admitted to Albany Hospital in a critical condition.

They were flown by the Royal Flying Doctor Service to Perth late last night.

It is understood the family are residents of Singapore.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

I heard this report on the radio this morning and said to my OH - This sounds like someone I have recently been TAing with. Very disconcerting. Howzie, I do hope we are wrong. Having checked, I think the one we are thinking of is a Canadian. Fingers crossed anyway although very, very sad for the poor family involved. As you say, it does serve as a sobering reminder to all, but especially our tourist friends. Please, PLEASE everyone - take care when driving.

Edited: 11 December 2009, 19:13
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

As above - I also thought this sounded like a TA poster when I heard it on the news. Very sad. Let's hope the injured recover quickly and commiserations to those involved.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

The media reports that the family are from Singapore

edit: oh..just noticed HP said that

Edited: 11 December 2009, 20:06
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

I hope the rest of them pull through ok and that it isnt someone we have been helping out.

It really does hit home that no matter how much we already say it - we have to keep drumming in the safety message.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

How very sad. I pray the injured will make a full recovery. I googled to see whether there was an update on their condition. I noticed one report said "Police are investigating whether speed and inattention were factors in the crash." Without speculating on this particular incident, it always makes me nervous when it seems visitors are overscheduling their itinerary or underestimating the size of the country, and then there are all the other factors such as the different handling characteristics of the rental vehicle. It might be the boring nagging part of holiday planning but I do believe it's important to "keep drumming in the safety message".

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

So right, MacKnee, so right.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

Different accident, but same unfortunate (fatal) outcome - crash near Nannup last week. News reports had placed it on the other side of town from me, but yesterday when I turned right out of my little dirt track (instead of my usual left into town), I came upon evidence of the crash just 50m from my junction. Single vehicle has gone off the road on the wrong side and then veered back across the road and head-on into a tree. Country roads are dangerous even for the locals - take it easy when driving over the holiday period.

8. Re: This is sad news Car Accident in our S.West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2010, 14:15