We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Oz

Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Oz

Hi lads,

Just wondering, we ( both my girlfriend and I) are from Ireland and are moving to Oz in November. We both have full driving licences. If we are to buy a car in Melbourne, can we drive using our driving licence, do we need an international licence? any info on this would be a great help...


Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Oz

From the VicRoads website:

"If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa, you can drive on your overseas licence for only three months from the date you entered Victoria or from the time a permanent visa was issued to you. If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after that time you must apply for a Victorian driver licence."


Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Oz

So the basic answer to that Stout is yes you can BUT if you go outside the period there is nothing stopping you (i.e you dont get checked up on). However, your coverage with things like insurance and thrid party liability would prob be null and void so from a safety angle that would not be good. It is a fairly simply process to change over a licence and I would do it fairly quickly. Even for things such as I/D for opening bank accounts and stuff like that a oversea's licence does not cut much chop given it wont have an Australian address on and you will/may begin to find i/d'ing yourself harder and harder.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Oz

Plus if you get pulled over for a traffic violation, and you are outside the three month period (assuming you are on a permenant visa), you would be classed as driving without a valid licence. This is in itself an offence, and increases the severity of any other violations. depending on the offence it could potentially constitute a breach of your visa conditions.

basically it would not be worth the risk to go over any time limits

Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Oz

I think the licence issue has been explained very well already..

Just one word of warning if I may....

Should you at some time buy a car here.. or even borrow one... When people talk about insurance... there is a bit of a trap...

In many countries around the world... you have compulsory insurance... covering BOTH damage to property and injury to people... When they here talk about third party insurance.. the compulsory one... it covers ONLY injury to people...

So if you have an at fault accident... say you derail a train.. or T-bone a Rolls Royce... you are NOT covered... You will be made to pay for all property damage...

You may take out what's called a "third party COMPREHENSIVE" insurance.. covering third party property.. and this is not expensive... just that if you don’t know about it you may just have overlooked this...

or of course a "fully comprehensive" insurance.. covering "third party property”... as well as covering your own vehicle.... this will cost a bit more..

It may be worthwhile if you already have built up some years of no claim bonus.. to bring evidence of this... otherwise you would be starting from scratch when you insure...

I hope this don't sound too confusing....?

Washington DC
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Oz

Use your Irish driving licence until you get an Australian one. 'International Driving Permits' are only useful if your current licence is in a different language from the country you are visiting. They are really only used to provide a translation for anyone who needs to see your driving license (e.g. rent a car, get pulled over, etc.).

Best of luck with move!

6. Re: Driving in Oz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 01:20