We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

Kent
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

Hi,

We will be coming to both cities in December and i wanted some opinions about which zoo to visit.

We want to spend a whole day there so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

I've not been to Melbourne zoo but Taronga Zoo is great, you could definitely easily spend a whole day there.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

I've been to both lots of times and Taronga is better on every level.

The location of Taronga cannot be beaten. It has the most spectacular views over the Harbour.

I would, however, recommend a visit to Healesville Sanctuary just out of Melbourne if your are specifically interested in Australian animals.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,698 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

Taronga Zoo has the edge ... and you get a ride across the harbour.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

mmm, like comparing apples and oranges. to be honest both are really nice and have their own special attributes however for a nice experience I would go to healsville as it specifically relates to native animals.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

Zoos are one thing that can be similar all around the world. Both Melbourne and Sydney zoos are good, but since you are travelling from overseas, and have a choice, Sydney wins because it is so unique.

Taronga Zoo in Sydney has a fabulous location on a hillside overlooking the Harbour, so you can see the animals and have great views at the same time. Who wouldn't want to see a giraffe with the Sydney Opera House in the background?

Travel to the zoo on the ferry, catch the gondola up the hill and spend the day wandering back down to the water to get the ferry back to the city.

Get a zoo map and pay attention to the advertised times for holding a koala, seal show, the amazing bird show, feeding times, etc and plan your day. The kangaroo enclosure lets you walk right through with the kangaroos. December can be hot, so go very early to see the animals when they are more active.

Have a lovely day!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

For Australian animals - Healesville Sanctuary one hour from Melbourne.

Outstanding experience that includes interactive experiences with Australian parrots , close encounters with Koalas and echidnas and the amazing 'Spirits of the sky' - http://www.zoo.org.au/healesville/highlights

I love the Platypus.

You can see elephants and zebras any where.

The drive is scenic through the beautiful Yarra Valley and a easy drive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

Can I suggest one zoo and one small petting type zoo to get a bit closer to the native animals?

In Sydney you have Featherdale and the Koala Park

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,172 posts
1,428 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

Another vote for Taronga Zoo - fabulous location & a real joy getting there by ferry across our beautiful harbour.

9. Re: Melbourne Zoo or Taronga Zoo in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 14:17