We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August weather compared to sydney

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
August weather compared to sydney

How different is the wether in Melbourne on the first week of August compared to Sydney? Is it usually colder in Melbourne?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August weather compared to sydney

Being from Sydney and living in Melbourne I weather watch a lot.. I have found that on average Melbourne is usually about 5 degrees less than Sydney. Melbourne is known for being 4 seasons in 1 day too!!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August weather compared to sydney

My god, 5 degrees is a lot! does it rain alot in August?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August weather compared to sydney

Never can really pick Melbourne weather, I'd say be prepared for anything!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
854 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August weather compared to sydney

When people talk of rain in Melbourne it is usually light showers. If you were to cross the wide streets of Melbourne during rain you would not be all that wet by the time you reach the other side. Rain showers dont last more than 10 mins on average and then you might only get 2 or 3 in a day in your area. It does not often drench as in the northern states

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August weather compared to sydney

Melbourne is colder, wetter and windier than Sydney in August. It also has, on average, nearly 3 hours less sunshine per day, and fewer sunny days.

For comparative statistics, have a look at the BOM website

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_086071.shtml

Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August weather compared to sydney

Thank you. Sounds too cold, may defer my trip until warmer weather. I'm currently freezing at night and winter has only begun!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August weather compared to sydney

Hi,

I've found that areas that experience "colder" weather on a regular basis have houses and shops that are built and designed to cope with the colder weather. Years ago when I lived in Canberra I found it colder in most houses in Sydney than those in Canberra. Outside persons much wiser than myself have said that "there isn't any bad weather just inappropriate clothing".

My advice would be to take proper cold weather clothing, (wind and waterproof shell with under layers) and don't be put off. Melbourne can be incredibly hot in summer. IMHO much harder to deal with.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August weather compared to sydney

As mentioned Melbourne is definitely colder than Sydney in August. However ;Sydney can get the chilly westerly winds but can also have the clearest blue skies & sunny days..

If wanting warmer weather head to Nth Queensland ie Cairns / Whitsundays.

9. Re: August weather compared to sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 15:17