We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1hour transit in Melb airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
1hour transit in Melb airport

Hi,

We are taking via qantas flights from auckland-melb-sin with 1 hour transit in melbourne.

Are we cutting it too fine? do we have to exit and re enter through immigration?

Cheers,

YT

Great Ocean Road Small-Group Eco-Tour...
1,259 reviews
from USD 105.22*
Special Offer
Phillip Island Tour from Melbourne
559 reviews
from USD 66.77*
USD 133.54
Special Offer
Yarra Valley, Puffing Billy Steam...
270 reviews
from USD 68.39*
USD 136.78
Special Offer
Melbourne Super Saver: Great Ocean...
117 reviews
from USD 217.72*
USD 262.23
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,066 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

Should you be flying QANTAS both sectors on a through ticket Auckland to Singapore, you and your luggage should be checked in at Auckland to your final destination.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

yes we are flyin qantas on both sectors. okay luggage all good. physically, 1 hour is good for us? are they prone to flight delays from auckland to melb?

cheers,

YT

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

The good thing about Melbourne is that the airport is all the One building and pretty close together

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

Same answer as to your previous post re Sydney transit.

Same terminal, no need to clear customs or immigration. One hour is plenty of time.

If QF sell you a through ticket then should your inbound flight be late they will be responsible for putting you on the next available flight to Auckland.

There are quite a few flights a day from both Melbourne and Sydney to Auckland so you'll be fine.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

Thank u Evamelb !

Cheers,

YT

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

Hi again,

have gotten to bookng my ticket.. i noticed that the transit in brisbane/melb showing :

QF123 Operated By

Subsidiary/Franchise

is it still considered as a through ticket from qantas and will 1hour now be too short?

cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

Can you just give all the details please, this will make it easier.

What has QF123 got to do with your flights? This seems to be a flight FROM Brisbane, TO Auckland...

You mention:

"have gotten to bookng my ticket.. i noticed that the transit in brisbane/melb showing :"

Brisbane and Melbourne are not the same city, as I'm sure you're aware....

In your original post, you were asking about flying from Auckland to Singapore via Melbourne. I would imagine you might go something like QF132 from Auckland to Melbourne, then QF9 to Singapore, which leaves you plenty of transit time in Melbourne. Please clarify for us what your query is!

Upon arriving in Melbourne, if you have a single ticket showing a transit in Melbourne of less than 8hrs from your scheduled arrival time, and your bags are checked through to your ultimate destination, you can go through the "International Transfers" corridor, just before the duty free shop on your left as you are walking towards Immigration Control. There you will be checked by security and can go to the departures area to await your onward flight.

Alternatively you can apply for a 771 transit visa, or possibly a 976 Electronic Tourist Visa will be cheaper.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

I flew Melbourne to Wellington last week & noticed the plane was operated by 'Jet Connect', which I assume is a subsidiary of Qantas. The plane had Qantas livery & the staff all wore Qantas uniforms. This is probably the same as for your flight to Auckland, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

Calm down Robol.. I was looking at several flights with transit at either brisbane/melbourne and i didn't want to repeat posts. My apologies for the confusion!

Now i shall only elaborate on the melb part....

I have tickets where QF136 (akl to melb), QF9 (melb-sin). Given they started off with QF, i assumed they were through tickets. I now have doubts if they are through tickets because on my e ticket itinerary, it's showing QF136 (operated by subsidary/franchise). Thus, i am worried if i will be able to make the 1hour connection time.

Ellenwillow, thank you for your answer. Saved me money on change of flights :)

Cheers,

YT

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1hour transit in Melb airport

Perhaps there is a cultural misunderstanding here, but to tell me to "calm down" in Australia is very patronising, especially when I am trying to help you, and I am, in fact, very calm.

If the two flights are on one ticket (ie. one booking reference number) and even more so when the parent flights are all QF rather than some codeshare flight, then Qantas should honour that. At the moment though, QF136 arrives into Melbourne AFTER QF9 departs Melbourne so I'm not sure how that is possible? Maybe the timetable is changing or are you sure you have the travel dates correct?

Anyway my advice regarding international transit still stands, I hope it was of some help to you. Have a safe trip.