We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

Manila
Level Contributor
163 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
$20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

Quick Question:

Our Melbourne hotel is charging us an additional $20 for a buffet breakfast. I am assuming the usual: eggs, sausages, bread, fruit.

Is that the normal rate? We're thinking of foregoing that an buying bread the night before, for instance, at Coles or any deli nearby.

Hotel is on Flinders Street, near the Station.

Thanks!

Ryan

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

Hi, Travel Freak.

That seems to be about the average for hotels. Some are better than others. You don't have to buy bread, you can buy cereal in single serve bowl packaging, fruit, muffins, croissants and a bit of milk to use in your hotel room, if you don't mind eating it with a teaspoon and no knife. Or you can buy plastic cutlery.

Personally if you're in Flinders St, assuming it's the Citigate, I would stroll down to Degraves St and have a much nicer breakfast at one of the quirky cafes there, with a decent cup of coffee. A great way of immersing yourself in Melbourne's lanes and coffee culture at the same time.

Manila
Level Contributor
163 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

Hi Unclefey!

That was what I was thinking! (quirky cafes)

How much would an average breakfast of eggs + coffee cost in these cafes, for instance? Thanks!

Ryan

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

$20 for a buffet breakfast is pretty good value assuming it isn't just a cold buffet of cereal and fruit. You will be hard pressed to find a decent cafe in Degraves st or anywhere else in Melbourne wher you can get the full breakfast of juice, cereal, bacon,eggs etc and tea or coffee with toast for $20.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

Hi, You would get a 'big breakfast' and a coffee/tea for $20.00. As evamelb says, you won't get the full gamut of buffet, supposing you can eat it all.

I have eaten of the Citigate breakfast buffet and it was ok, but nothing special. The usual hot buffet of scrambled eggs, rubbery sausages, bacon, tomato, those grey mushrooms that seem to be a feature of larger hotels, toasts, a few pastries, a couple of cereals, some tubs of Yoplait yoghurt and some fresh fruit. Coffee was filter. It is in the foyer of the hotel right next to the reception desk. Ambience not there. I'm staying there again in a month or so but won't be breakfasting there. The first time it was included in the room deal.

Manila
Level Contributor
163 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

No, we are staying at Rendezvous Hotel on Flinders Street. We were promised a 'full' breakfast for $20, if we include it in the room rate.

It will be $30 if we decide to get breakfast on the day.

I certainly am expecting the whole gamut!

What I am looking for is a $10 breakfast with perhaps a sandwich / pastry and coffee in an street cafe.

Is that too cheap of a budget?

Thanks

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,252 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

I'd pick up breakfast at the food hall in David Jones....yum.

www.davidjones.com.au/services/foodhall/

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

My daughter has stayed at the Rendezvous a couple of times and says the breakfast was very good.

Yes, you can grab a pastry/crepe/raisin toast/panini/crumpets and a coffee for $10 if you look around, but it wouldn't be at the better end of the food spectrum here in Melbourne.

Manila
Level Contributor
163 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

Thanks unclefy!

Since we are spending three breakfasts in Melbourne, I think we would take the hotel breakfast on the first day ($20) and take our chances then on the remaining two mornings :)

Good idea? Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,521 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

I also have stayed at the Rendezvous & brekky was pretty good... if you walk along the streets of the CBD early morning you can find breakfast for $10.00 but that's if you can be bothered.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255100-d257…

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $20 for a breakfast buffet OR buy bfast from Coles?

Hello again, Ryan.

I think that is an excellent idea. you will have had a good breakfast on the first day and plenty of time to familiarise yourself with the city and some of the blackboard menus you will pass as you wander the lanes and streets.

If you are here midweek, I would note that many of the little cafes are very busy first thing in the morning as the office workers queue up to take away their morning caffeine hit. The baristas are pretty good at getting the coffee out quickly though. Things seem to be less hectic after about 8.45.

Hope you have a great time in Melbourne!