We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

We will be driving with 3 families and 4 children aged 4 to 8 during our 12 days trip in Dec 2012. We wish to take a leisure pace especially on the GOR. Not sure if we should:

i) Fly into Melbourne and drive on the GOR towards Adelaide

ii) Fly into Adelaide and drive on the GOR towards Melbourne

iii) Fly into Melbourne, drive on the GOR and loop back to Melbourne to fly out

Have come up with this draft itinerary:

Day 1: Melbourne City

Day 2: Mornington, Sorrento, Queenscliff

Day 3: Philip Island

Day 4-5: Geelong, Torquay, Lorne, Apollo Bay

Day 6-8: Port Campbell, Warrnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Mt Gambier

Day 7: Adelaide

Day 8: Grampians, Halls Gap

Day 9: Ballarat

Day 10-11: Melbourne City

Please advise if the above is too packed and suggestions for areas for overnight accom. Prefer to stay over at each accom for at least 2-3 nights.

Many Thanks!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

We flew into Adelaide from Broome and drove to Melbourne, via the Coorong and Coonawarra districts, on through Mount Gambier and then on to the GOR and then followed the same route as you. Our trip was very much quicker than yours, but I don't think it matters which direction you travel the GOR, you will have a wonderful experience, in my opinion.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

imo it would be best (from the daily itinerary given) to forget adelaide and head straight into the grampians from the GOR.

it's a long drive from mt gambier just to stay in adelaide one night and then head back out again.

the extra day (or 2) would be better spent in the mountains than on the road just driving.

i would also 'do' phillip island first, then the mornington pen.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

Hi

You have a lot of driving here, may I make a few suggestions.

Day1& 2.

Melbourne to Phillip Island, stay the night see the penguin parade and the local sites during the day. It is about a 4.5 hour drive from Melbourne Airport to Phillip Island.

Day3.

Head to Sorrento (perhaps via Cape Schank) and take the car ferry to Queenscliff. Look around there, Port Lonsdale lighthouse and start down the GOR, staying the night at Lorne.

Day4& 5

Lorne to Apollo Bay. Check out the lighthouse just outside of Apollo Bay,

there are glow worms near by, lookouts, great swimming, waves.

Drive up to Port Campbell checking out al the wonderful sites and walks along the GOR on the way. Return to Apollo Bay

Day6,7 &8.

Drive to Halls Gap, spend 3 nights there exploring the area. Lots of walking

Day9

Ballarat, visit Sovereign Hill

Day10 & 11

Melbourne City

Hope you enjoy what ever you do.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,475 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

I also agree forget Adelaide & drive to Robe or do the above itinerary.

Another option.

Do Pam's itinerary to day 5 - Stay overnight at Port Fairy

Day 6 - Drive PF to Robe, - stay overnight

284 km, 3 hours 22 mins Princes Hwy/A1

Day 7 / 8 - Drive Robe to the Grampians - stay 2 days

330 km, 4 hours 16 mins Wimmera Hwy/B240

Day 9 - Drive Grampians to Ballerat - stay overnight.

142 km, 1 hour 52 mins Western Hwy

Day 10 / 11 - Melbourne

Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

Thanks so much Pam and Ellemay for your helpful advice! Your suggested itinerary looks better, will give up Adelaide this time round.

Other than the breathtaking scenaries, what are the activities that will interest the children along this route? Any recommendations on child friendly accomdations that can take 6 adults and 4 children in Lorne, Port fairy, halls Gap, Philip Island, Apollo Bay and Robe.

Thanks!

Mortlake, Australia
Level Contributor
298 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

I agree with Pam, except with children I would probably drive to Warrnambool and stay there on Day 5. The kids will really enjoy the adventure playground at Lake Pertobe. Port Fairy is only 20 minutes from Warrnambool but there aren't as many options for things to do with the kids or places to eat.

The drive to Adelaide is a long one and while the Blue Lake is interesting in Mt Gambier, it's not (imo) worth the extra couple of hours. Likewise, Robe is lovely but no lovelier than Lorne or Apollo Bay.

When you stay in the Grampians I suggest you stay in cabins in either of the caravan parks. You will see lots of wildlife that way. A word of warning though. There is only one supermarket in Halls Gap & their prices are ridiculous. Stock up on food in Warrnambool before you drive up there .

Don't miss out on Sovereign Hill in Ballarat. Everyone in your group will enjoy it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

I'm an Adelaide dweller and I have to agree with the above comments. A loop from Melb. along the GOR, then maybe inland to the Grampians, then back to Melb. would be a great trip. I love Adelaide but it's probably not for the first time visitor to Australia unless you're after something specific like wine or wildlife (Kangaroo Island) or to swim with the White Pointers (Port Lincoln).

Once you get past the GOR, the rest of the drive to Adelaide - which is a long way - isn't that enthralling.

Enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

Thanks very much to all of you for helping me with the itinerary. We've just confirmed our air tickets and now looking at booking the accommodations. Our travel period will be from 17 Dec to 27 Dec. Is it advisable to book all the accommodations in advance since it will be the holiday season?

Can I have some suggested accommodation at the following places:

i) Philip Island (1 or 2 nights)

ii) Lorne (1 or 2 nights)

iii) Warnambool (2 nights)

iv) Halls Gap (2 nights)

v) Ballarat (1 night)

vi) Melbourne City (2 nights)

We are a group of 4 adults and 3 children (aged 4 to 8). Budget is around $150-$200 per night. We will prefer to stay in a combination of cottages, farm stay, motels and hotels.

Thanks very much!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

We stayed at Quest Warrnambool a few years ago and were very happy with the apartment and the location. Check here for recent reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255363-d498917…

10. Re: Melbourne to Adelaide or other way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2013, 19:15