We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out of Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
72 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Out of Melbourne

If I want to take 2 - 3 days out of Melbourne, is there any bus I can take to and where do you suggest I can go with a family of 3?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,546 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Out of Melbourne

What time of the year?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out of Melbourne

Semsin, if you provide more information, then we may be able to help you more. If you can answer these questions: a. what are your family's interest? b. budget? c. Time of year you are visiting? d. age of child(ren)?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out of Melbourne

Outside of winter The Great Ocean Road is great to visit and stay

www.greatoceanrd.org.au

Apollo Bay is central for excursions www.apollobay.com

www.visitvictoria.com

Rural public transport vline.com.au/timetables/timetables/bus.html

Accommodation www.wotif.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Out of Melbourne

North east Victoria - catch the train. visit Beechworth, Yackandandah, Bright, Rutherglen.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Out of Melbourne

I agree with the others, we do need more info about you & your interests.

Also, can you rent a car? Once you get out of Melbourne, public transport can be limited. Most towns are serviced by bus or train, but some don't run often & it can be hard to get between places. Train or bus is OK if you want to go to Bendigo, Geelong etc, but if you want to sightsee around the area your options can be limited.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
72 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Out of Melbourne

Thank you for your messages. i'll be travelling with my family of 2 teenagers. We'll be in Melbourne for a week then, we're hoping to move out of Melbourne just to experience out of Melbourne. It'll be this Dec, 1 -14. We're fine with anything.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Out of Melbourne

You had another thread about driving in Australia. Have you decided not to do so? As Ellenwillow says, once you are out of Melbourne it might be difficult to get around by local public transport. So maybe in the absence of any particular interests what you should be looking for is a town large enough to have a range of accommodation and attractions within a central walkable area and public transport for any more outlying attractions. I don't know... Geelong? Ballarat maybe, I remember staying in a hotel right across the road from Ballarat's main attraction many years ago? Or what about taking a short coach tour?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Out of Melbourne

DO you have a car ????

We cannot give you appropriate advice without you giving us all your details regarding your itinerary.

With teenagers - try driving along the Great Ocean Road or just do a tour.

wotif.com/hotels/australia-vic-great-ocean-r…

www.greatoceanroad.com.au/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
72 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Out of Melbourne

I plan to drive around with a car in Melbourne. But then, I am also open to taking a coach or bus out just to relax without driving. SIngapore's cars are right hand drive so, I think I'd rather get on the bus/ other mode to relax.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,546 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Out of Melbourne

We drive in the same side of the road as you do ( thanks to the British Colonials)