We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

Hi,

We are staying at the Mantra on Russell in Feb. are there any supermarket near by and also which is the best transport to use for Melb. airport transfers.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

The is a Woolworths on Corner of Swanson and Lonsdale Streets

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

Just a few metres down Russel St after you cross Little Bourke St, is the Great Eastern Grocery centre. They have mainly Asian groceries but they also carry all the basic western supplies like bread & milk, soft drinks, canned food etc.

In the other direction, on the corner of Lonsdale & Swanston Sts is a Woolworths. But if I were you, then I'd take the extra few minutes and walk the extra few blocks to the corner of Franklin and Queen to the Queen Victoria Markets to do my shopping.

Quickest transport to Melbourne CBD from the airport is by cab and depending on how many of you there are it could be the same cost (or not much more) than the Skybus shuttle. A return ticket on Skybus is $26. A cab ride to the city from the airport is about $50. If you get the Skybus, they take you to Southern Cross station where you transfer to a smaller shuttle bus that takes you to the hotel. Skybus operates 24/7 - the airport shuttles operate to a more limited timetable, so check if you are coming in very late or very early.

When I travel, I use VHA airport shuttle http://www.vhaairportshuttle.com.au/

They charge a couple of dollars more than the Skybus but there's no changing buses at Southern Cross (I use them because they take me to my home which Skybus won't do). We use them at least once a week and have never had a problem.

Happy travels

Edited: 18 November 2011, 23:15
Brisbane
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

Thankyou

I am looking forward to coming to Melbourne, I havent been there for over 20 years.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

Just to clarify, there is indeed a large Woolworths near the corner of Lonsdale and Swanston Streets, but it's in the basement of the QV complex. You won't see it from the street!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

We stayed at Mantra on Russell earlier this year & went to the Woolworths mentioned by aussiebill & Gat. From Russell st you can enter the complex via Artemis lane. From memory there were quite a few stores there including a bakery. You need to go down quite a few levels by escalator to reach Woolies - I think it's in the basement.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

While the Vic market is good to visit, especially if you want to stock up on fruit & veg etc, it isn't as convenient as the supermarket mentioned if all you want are some basics. I'm not sure why someone would suggest this as an alternative to a supermarket in this case as the opening times are limited.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 07:45
7. Re: Supermarket in Melb. CBD and airport transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2013, 21:18