We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Parking

Can i ask if anyone can suggest where can i park overnight in the cbd area?im staying at marriott and parking is at $37,think i can find anywhere cheaper than that?else since i have a car,should i be staying out of the city where parking is cheaper?any suggestions?

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking

if you stay out of the city, you could still take a tram ride in and save mpney, and probably on accommodation as well as parking fees, and maybe if you choose the correct sideof town and assuming you are driving away form Melbourne the next day get a head start avoiding morning peak hour traffic in the CBD,

some others may know more details, but doing a search on 'parking melbourne' should bring up some parking stations who may have cheap overnight rates, as long you are out early next morning. Often in quiet periods eg overnight there is flat fee, instead the usual hourly charge

Edited: 23 April 2011, 12:34
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking

If you just want overnight parking, then you should easily find a spot in the streets around St Patrick's Cathedral and Parliament House - but only after 6:30pm and only until the meters start operating again in the morning - 7:30 am I think. During the day this is metered parking and used by city workers.

If there is no reason to stay in the city, then I would suggest staying further out.

The Novotel at St Kilda http://www.novotelstkilda.com.au/explore.html has a nice location (on the water) and is very close to lots of restaurants, bars and cafes. It's also only a short tram ride to the CBD. I believe the parking on site is $15 a day for hotel guests - but you should check that.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking

Two chains of parking stations in the cbd are Wilson (see

http://www.wilsonparking.com.au/go/regions/melbourne-cbd) and

Secure (see

http://www.secureparking.com.au/CarParkMap.aspx?regionid=6).

There may also stations operated by others???

You may wish to check rates via these sites, as the rates (and time/days of operation) vary as between parking stations, depending on location etc. I think that some offer reasonable deals on overnight rates, but probably not all of them. Also, you need to careful to check the time at which day rates start applying - I think sometimes it can be as early as 6 am (so you could have racked up quite a hefty charge by 9 am!).

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking

To fill in what Gat is saying - Very few of the city car parks are open overnight on week nights. Therefore they will not serve your purpose for overnight parking if you choose to get to them after a certain time (and they don't really allow overnight parking anyway). There are a few that open all night on Friday band Saturday nights - but that is even a small handfull.

Most car parks charge well over $40 for a days (8 hours) parking - it isn't cheap. They do have what is called early bird parking but you have to park by 8.30 or 9am and be out after 4 pm but by 6.30pm ish. And the bottom line is that with the exception of hotel car parks (and even then some don't) - none have in and out privileges (meaning you can take your car in and out whenever you want- if you take it out once and then put it back in you start to get charges again).

An example I once parked in a city car park not paying attention to the charges. Parked for literally 1 and a half hours and it cost me $40 ($4 for the first hour then maximum all day charge anytime after 1 hour).

Edited: 23 April 2011, 22:38
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking

As the other's said above, and beware if you do want to park on the street many streets (little lons for one) have extended their metre times to 8.30pm.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking

Further to my earlier post, have a look at some of the Wilson carparks. I've checked a few at random, and in fact some of them do operate 24/7. In a number of cases, these have a cheap overnight fee, but this only applies until 6 am. Then you're charged the per hour daytime rate - which can be very high!

Edited: 24 April 2011, 22:05
7. Re: Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 06:16