We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general information

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
general information

Hello everyone,

My son and his wife are going to Melbourne in May to work for two years. They have never been to Australia before and will be staying in Williamstown. Is there a book I could buy with general information about the area to help them settle in. My son's worry is, he has a job to go to but his wife does not, although she will be trying to find one. He worries she may be lonely.

We live in England and the family will be going to visit them during their stay. Does anyone know where we can find the cheapest flights.

I would like to have some flowers sent via interflora to their new home for when they arrive, but don't know if this is possible or would it be far too expensive?

Such a lot of questions but I hope you can help.

Thank you.

Barbara

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,360 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general information

Lucky them!

A Lonely Planet guide could be useful, as would be visiting the Melbourne Tourist bureau in the city, who have more free info than you can poke a stick at. There are also free Melbourne tours- a tram that tootles around the city centre, a hop on, hop off bus that goes a little further afield, and walks led by Melbourne greeters as well as self-guided tours you can get maps and brochures for at the Tourist Bureau.

I hope your DIL has a working visa if she is looking for work. It is a requirement. Does she have any hobbies or interests (singing, gardening, craft, whatever) that she might join a club or special-interest group to pursue? That would be a good way to meet like-minded people in her new home.

Air fares are variable depending on who's having a sale but we flew Air Asia to and from London to Perth and they were the cheapest at the time. Also perfectly acceptable, don't think we'd have enjoyed the flight significantly more if we'd gone with one of the more expensive carriers. Did have to overnight in KL on the way over and in hindsight would do so on the way back as well, and probably stay at least a couple of nights either way.

Sending flowers by Interflora you pay your local florist (at least you did last time I did it) so it would be best to enquire of them as to cost. It wasn't dirt cheap.

Edited: 27 February 2011, 06:51
Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general information

http://www.williamstowninfo.com.au

visitmelbourne.com/displayobject.cfm/…

Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general information

Hi Barbara,

I live in the neighboring suburb and the good news is Williamstown has a lovely community that your family can become as much a part of as they choose. There is a local library that has plenty of information about local clubs and activities as well as community noticeboards around the shops advertising everything from walking groups, book clubs, yoga/art classes to school fetes and fundraisers all seeking participants. The public transport from Williamstown to the city is very convenient so your DIL will have plenty of opportunity to explore Melbourne and its surrounds.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general information

May I suggest that your daughter in law consider doing some 'volunteer' work in the beginning as this will allow her to meet other locals, get a feel for the Australian culture whilst making a positive contribution to the Williamstown community. Williamstown is a beautiful suburb - it's a great start to living in Melbourne!

All the best to your son and daughter in law.

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general information

Thank you all so much. You have helped a great deal. My DIL has not got a work visa so she will not be able to work. She works in a shop at the moment but she is very sociable so I think she will find some voluntary work and meet people that way.

Being his mother I am going to miss him so much, but you have made Melbourne sound such a lovely place I won t worry as much now and he is sending tickets for his father and I to go and see them in December, so I haven t long to wait before I see him.

Thank you again for all your help.

Barbara

London
Level Contributor
718 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: general information

Regarding the flowers, I suggest Googling 'Williamstown florists' and ordering directly online (an Interflora florist in the UK will simply charge you for placing that same order). Having had a quick look, they're not cheap, but you can get an idea of what you're sending.

freshflowersandgifts.com.au/florist-williams…

www.williamstownflorist.com.au/delivery.php

http://williamstown.floristsmelbourne.com.au/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: general information

Just check the restrictions of the visa that your daugher in law is on regarding volunteer work. As stupid as it sounds, she may not be eligible (I wasn't when I was on a similar visa when I lived in the UK and wanted to volunteer at an animal shelter)

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: general information

Thank you for the florists websites. You are right they are far too expensive. I just thought it would be nice to have them waiting for them in their new home when they arrived.

I am pleased you all seem to love the Williamstown area, being a worrying mum, It puts my mind at rest.

Thank you all.

Barbara

9. Re: general information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 16:19