We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or Skybus?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
814 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or Skybus?

We are four adults with moderate luggage.

Taking the Skybus wil cost $64. Can we fit 4 people in a taxi and roughly how much would that cost to go to the Radisson on Flagstaff?

We arrive in middle afternoon.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or Skybus?

Buy a return Skybus ticket and it will be discounted. 16 one way person, 26 return.

A taxi should be less, IF it doesnt arrive in the city in afternoon rush hour, but if you need to return to the airport, recalculate the Skybus to cost half a return price, 52 total one way and the difference might not be great.

Prebook Skybus, and no tickets to queue to buy and with buses every ten minutes most times through the day, you stand a good chance of being on the road as quick as queueing for a taxi.

4 people and a lot of luggage will fit into most cabs - station wagon and people mover type are common at the airport.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or Skybus?

Thanks for the clear response. So we will take a taxi then.

I am aware of the discounted return tickets but we will be driving back from GOD and plan to return the rental car at the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
606 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or Skybus?

According to this site the fare by taxi is about $47 AUD http://www.worldtaximeter.com/melbourne/tullamarine+airport/melbourne+city

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or Skybus?

Great. That confirms it. Thanks.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or Skybus?

I think you might have been given a bum steer - what is moderate luggage?

If it is still a smaller sized suitcase (as oppose to a bigger one) then you might need 2 taxi's - taxi boots/trunks are not big as they are usually taken up by a large LPG gas tank so a Ford Falcon boot gets reduced considerable (this is different if you get a maxi taxi - you might be able to request one at the airport). Also do not taxis then charge per piece of luggage on top of the fare plus the Citylink toll charges so it can all add up (not got a taxi for a while fully loaded so all these thoughts are off the top of my head - someone else may be able to confirm).

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or Skybus?

I just checked the Yellow cabs website (it may appear Worldtaximeter site may not include surcharges etc). From the airport to the city is estimated at $50 (there is a $2 surcharge for airport pick ups), there doesn't appear to be a luggage charge, but there is at least a $4.10 toll charge - it is not clear if in the estimator this is included...

www.yellowcabs.com.au/index.php…

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,285 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or Skybus?

Thanks for the precision and the link. It is still somewhat cheaper and the taxi will be more convenient.

No big suitcases although I am traveling with 3 women.....

8. Re: Taxi or Skybus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2011, 15:17