We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been on the DC3-Gooney Bird Dinner Flight?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone been on the DC3-Gooney Bird Dinner Flight?

Am trying to think of something different to do for my husband's birthday (it's one of those "special" ones!). Was thinking of the flights from Essendon Airport on the old DC3 where you have a flight over the city and have dinner on board. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this who can tell me what it's like.

Am also happy for other suggestions that might fit the bill - I want to do something that we can do as a family, which includes hubby, myself and three children. Thought of the tramcar restaurant, but since there are booths of 2 or 4, it would be awkward with the five of us...

Any opinions on the DC3 flights, or other suggestions, would be welcomed. Don't mind if it costs a bit (the dinner flight is pretty expensive for 5 of us...), would just like to do something more memorable than just dinner at a restaurant. Thanks in advance!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been on the DC3-Gooney Bird Dinner Flight?

Hi oldxp

Haven't been on the DC3 dinner flight, although have heard it is quite good. The weather can affect the flight i.e. if cloudy limited view. I believe the flight can go over the city at low altitude and apparently the views are great. Not sure when your husband's birthday is, but I would seriously consider the weather.

The food on the tram restaurant is quite decent and you get to see some interesting areas of Melbourne. If you choose this option there are two booking times 'early' (5.45 - 7.15) or 'late' (8.35 - 11.15). Recommend 'late' as you will have less traffic and so will see more. I understand you have five people so this may not be suitable.

If you're looking for the more interesting dinner option, that is a 'moving' restaurant I've heard the dinner river cruise is good and belive the food is okay. If this suits the type of occassion you had in mind you can get more information at melbcruises.com.au/cruising-restaurant.htm

Hope this helps

Edited: 21 June 2010, 19:09
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,294 posts
1,884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been on the DC3-Gooney Bird Dinner Flight?

I have not, but know two individuals (one of each sex, unrelated) who both suggest that it was most enjoyable.

3. Re: Anyone been on the DC3-Gooney Bird Dinner Flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 16:18